can I freeze "cheesy potato casserole"? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can I freeze "cheesy potato casserole"?

Last post Aug 16, 2004 7:51 AM by cakegirl_MI . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • can I freeze "cheesy potato casserole"?
    A quick question: you know that ubiquitous "cheesy potato casserole"? It has frozen hash brown potatoes, sour cream, soup, cheese in it. Anyway, I want to make 2 pans of it and freeze one of the pans. Can I do that? Or will the sour cream get funky on me?
    Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Sue
    False
  • RE: can I freeze

Sue, I've never made that one. The one I do make has all those things in it and my DD always takes the extra back to Kansas City with her and she says she can't tell the difference....

~~LindaChicken
    False

Photobucket

Hi Sue!
    We serve this casserole so often at funerals that it is known as funeral potatoes here...LOLOL

It has been fine for us when we have had to freeze it (leftovers etc.) and heated up for another meal.

Hope this helps!
    DeeAnn
    False
    I freeze it all the time not cooked.
    Sure has been a lifesaver more than once when unexpected guests pop in around meal time! Sometimes make up several smaller sizes to freeze, it is a big recipe, and more than 2 of us can handle! just take it out an hour or so before baking.
    False
    I've frozen it before and had good luck. I bake it at about 300 degrees for 30 minutes and then turn it up to 350 degrees for the rest of the baking time.
    False
    Thank you so much for your responses. It sounds like I can make it up and freeze it before baking it. Yes, they are popular for funerals around here also!
    For anyone who does not have the recipe, here it is. It really is a good dish.

CHEESY POTATOES

2 lbs. Frozen hash brown potatoes (thaw for 30 minutes)
    diced onion
    1 lb. Sour cream
    8 oz. Grated cheddar cheese
    ½ cup margarine, melted
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    Combine all ingredients. Spread in a 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips. Bake at 375 for 1 ¼ hours.

Enjoy,
    Sue
    False
    Oh yes, my original recipe even says to divide the casserole into 2 pie dishes, and freeze one for later.

It is so yummy.
    False