Blue Willow Inn Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Blue Willow Inn Cookbook

Last post Aug 10, 2010 12:25 AM by Jannalee_CA . 89 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 4 of 6 (90 items) < First23456
  • RE: Blue Willow Inn Cookbook
    lulabell

Tell me what type of recipe you are interested in...appitizer, main course, dessert, salad, etc. or if you have a specific request for certain recipe, I'll look it up and see f they have something for you. Just let me know what you're interested in.

Jannalee
    False
    I just found this and I've been trying to locate some recipes from this cookbook.
    Would very much appreciate:
    Crab Dip
    Double-Oink Roll-Ups
    Coconut Cream Pie
    Baked Pineapple Casserole
    Pralines
    Sweet and Sour Hot Meatballs
    Sweet Potato Souffle

I know there are other recipes by these names, but would really love to see the ones from Blue Willow.
    Many thanks.
    False
    Thanks for sharing these recipes! It sounds like a really beautiful place; I'm going to check out the website when I get a chance.

Amy
    False

janna...Just enjoyed your post about this Inn. I love Inns and always interested in them. I went on line and found this link to the Inn. Hope some of you will take a peek and see
    how beautiful it is. Love Lorraine

http://www.bluewillowinn.com/
    False
    Love Lorraine
    Good afternoon Jannalee,
    Thank you for posting this about the Blue Willow Inn.
    I went to the web-site http://www.bluewillowinn.com
    and enjoyed reading the about the inn and the history. They also offered some special recipes.
    Chicken and Dumplings, Fried Green tomatoes, macaroni and cheese and several others.
    I would love to have the Pecan Pie recipe if you have time to post.
    Shirley
    False
    Hello ladies,

groucho CT 68 f (Shirley) and LM42:

I just saw your requests for recipes from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook.

I bookmarked all the recipes you requested and will try to post them tonight from home. I'm at work and not able to copy them for you now. If DH is not "hawgin'" the computer tonight, I can type them tonight.

My only question is...LM42, I don't know if I can get all 7 recipes you requested on one post. Should I do separate posts? Can someone tell me how to get them all on one post?

Jannalee
    False
    Hi Jannalee.
    Thank you for answering so quickly.
    I've been gone till now and checked this first.LOL
    Yes, post them seperately in here as some like to print off copies of just what they want.
    I have an old computer with no printer, so I copy by hand in notebooks.Works for me.
    Thank you.
    False
    To groucho CT 68 F

Here is your PECAN PIE
    recipe from Blue Willow Inn Cookbook:

3 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 C dark corn syrup
    1/2 C pure maple syrup
    1/2 C sugar
    2 1/2 Tbls margarine, melted
    1 t vanilla extract
    1 t pure lemon extract
    1 C pecans
    1 frozen pastry piecrust, thawed

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl combine eggs, corn and maple syrups, sugar, margarine and vanilla and lemon extracts, stir until well blended. Add pecans, stir enoug to spread them evenly. Pour into the thawed piecrust, bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Wen cool, Garnish with whipped cream or whipped topping . Or can be served warm with vanilla icecream.

8 servings

OK, LM 42, here are your recipes you requested. I'll try to get on one post, but may not be able to. Be patient!

CRAB DIP
    from blue Willow Inn cookbook
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    3 Tbls. mayonnaise
    1 t. Dijun mustard
    1/4 Tbls. dry white wine
    1 8 oz can crabmeat, drained and flaked

In double boiler, combine creamcheese, mayonnaise, mustard and salt. Stir until smooth and well blended. Gradually add the wine. Ten add the crabmeat and heat through. Serve the dip hot in a chafing or fondue dish with crackers.

Makes 2 cups

DOUBLE OINK ROLL UPS
    From the Blue Willow Inn cookbook

1/4 C butter
    1/2 C water
    1 1/2 C herb-seasoned bread stuffing crumbs
    1 egg, slightly beten
    1/3 lb. bulk sausage, mild or hot to taste
    2/3 lb. bacon strips

In saucepan, melt butter in the water. Remove from heat, stir in the stuffing crumbs. Add the egg and sausage, and blend thoroughly. Chll for one hour and shape into pecan size balls. preheat oven to 375. Cut bacon strips into thirds, use these strips to wrap around the balls, securing each with a wooden pick. Place on shallow baking pan. Bake for 35 to 40 min. turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

Makes about 30 roll ups

False
    BAKED PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
    from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook

1 (28 oz) can crushed pineapple, with juice
    1 1/4 C sugar
    2 1/2 C Ritz cracker crumbs
    1 stick melted butter
    2 1/4 C grated cheese

Combine the pineapple and its juice with sugar in a saucepan. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Preheat oven to 350, In casserole or baking dish, lyer the pineapple, cracker crumbs, butter and cheese in three layers, saving the last 1/4 C cheese to sprinkle over the top. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 mins until bubbly and golden brown.

makes 8 to 10 servings

PRALINES
    from the Blue Willow Inn cookbook

1 1/2 Tbls light corn syrup
    1/2 C evaporated milk
    3 Tbls butter
    1/2 C brown sugar, firmly packed
    1 C sugar
    1/8 t. salt
    1/2 C pecan halves, toasted
    1/2 C pecan pieces, toasted
    1 t. vanilla

Combine conr syrup, milk, butter, brown sugar, sugar and salt in a buttered, heav 2 uart saucepan. cook mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently until blended and temp reaches 240 on candy thermometer. Add the pecans, and continue cooking until temp reaches 246. Remove mixture rom the heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla with a spoon until creamy, Immediately drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto wax paper makin 2 inch circles. Candy should drop easily from spoon. If the candy hardens before you have Finished, add a few drops of milk, reheat, and stir until creamy. Store in a sealed container, separating layers with waxed paper.

Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen.

MORE TO COME
    False
    SWEET AND SOUR HOT MEATBALLS

2 lbs ground chuck
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 C bread crumbs
    1/2 C water
    salt and pepper
    garlic powder
    1 (12 oz) bottle chili sauce
    1 (16 oz) jar grape jelly
    juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the round chuck, eggs, bread crumbs, water and salt and papper and garlic powder to taste. Shape into meatballs the size of walnuts. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, bake for 15 to 20 mins or until lightly browned. Drain off any grease. In a saucepan combine the chili sauce, grape jelly and lemon juice. Bring to a slow boil. Add the cooked meatballs and allow them to simmer 8 to 10 mins. Stir gently so not to break up the meatballs. Serve hot in a chafing dish.

makes about 40 meatballs

MORE TO COME
    False
    SWEET POTATOE SOUFFLE
    from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook

3 C cooked fresh sweet potatoes, peeled if baked, drained if boiled
    3 eggs
    1 stick melted butter
    1/2 C whole milk
    1/4 C light brown sugar
    1/2 C Sugar
    1/4 C raisins (optional) 1/4 t. cinnamon
    1/4 t. cinnamon
    1 t. vanilla extract
    Dash of nutmeg
    1 C miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl mash the sweet potatoes with a whisk or potato masher. Combine them with the eggs, butter , milk, brown and white sugars, raisins (if using), cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Pour into a 9 X 12 inch casserole dish, bake for 25 to 30 mins. Top with the marshmallows, and return to oven just long enough for the marshmallows to melt.
    Note as an alternative to marshmallows, sweet potato souffle can be topped with pecan topping.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

PECAN TOPPING

1 C corn flakes
    1/2 C light brown sugar
    1/3 C melted butter
    3/4 C chopped pecans

Crush the corn flakes into small pieces. In mixing bowl combine them with the sugar, butter and pecans and mix well. If using on sweet potato suffle, top the just cooked souffl with this mixture and return it to the oven for 5 minutes to brown. If using to top ice cream, prehea the oven to 350 . spread it on a prepare cookie sheet, and bake it for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick or clump. allow the topping to cool before spooning onto icecream.

makes about 2 cups.

MORE TO COME

False
    Jannalee, is there anyway of getting this cookbook? I would love to have it....do they sell them? Can you get me some information?

Thanks...
    ((hugs))

Dee

PS Thankyou soo much for these recipes....
    False
    COCONUT CREAM PIE

Meringue:

3 egg whites
    1/4 t. cream of tarter
    6 Tbls confectioner's sugar
    1/2 t. vanilla

Filling:

1/2 C sugar
    2 Tbls corn starch
    1/2 t. salt
    2 C milk
    3 egg yolks, slightly eaten
    1 Tbls softened butter
    1 t. vanilla
    1 C flaked coconut
    1 (8 inch) precooked pie shell

To make the meringue, with an electric mixer beat the egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy. Beat in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. continue beating until glossy, stiff peaks form. fold in the vanilla.
    to make the filling, combine the sugar, conrstarch and salt into the top of a double boiler. In bowl, mix together the milt and egg yolks and gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove rom the heat and mix int he butter and vanilla. fold in 3/4 cup of the coconut. Pour the mixture into the pie shell immediately.

Preheat the oven to 350. Heap the meringue over the filling, spreading it to the edge of the pie shell to prevent shrinking or weeping. sprinkle the remaining coconut on top. Bake pie until the meringue is golden brown, about 12 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

That's all folks!!!

Jannalee

Ladies, let me know how these recipes turn out and if you like them.

FYI... On the PRALINES recipe, they repeated the 1/2 C pecan halves, toasted ... twice. I don't know if that was a misprint or not. I typed it exactly as they had it in the book.

False
    Sugarbug~

You can order the book on-line at Amazon.com. I just looked up my order papers and it was $13.99 plus tax and shipping. Author is Jane Stern and Michael Stern.

I understand there is another "sequel" book out. The 2nd book is the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook - Experiencing the South. I understand you can purchase the cookbooks from their website.
    at www.bluewillowinn.com.

The original cookbook is beautiful, full of pictures and "stories" to go along with the recipes. On the front cover is a dinner to die for...Southern fried chicken, golden bisquits, mashed potatoes and breen beans with ham, all on a "blue willow" pattern plate. They even tell you the story behind the blue willow china pattern. Cute love story.

Jannalee

False
    Jannalee,

Thank you for the information. I am copying right now to order in the morning. My favorite all time movie is Gone with the Wind....and I love southern cooking..

((hugs))

Dee
    False