Runny Butter Kucha (Kuchen) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Runny Butter Kucha (Kuchen)

Last post Aug 28, 2004 4:00 PM by twinkle30 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Runny Butter Kucha (Kuchen)
    In Louisville, KY nearly all of the bakeries sell Kuchas of all kinds. However, the favorite of my family is the Runny Butter Kucha. I've looked and looked in all kinds of cookbooks, but never have found a recipe for this topping. Now that we live in Montana and no longer can get to Louisville very often, I would really appreciate the opportunity to make this kuchen myself.
    False
  • RE: Runny Butter Kucha (Kuchen)
    I've never heard of this kind of kuchen. Is this similar to what Americans call "gooey butter cake"?
    False
    This recipe came from "Recipe Source." Is this the type of recipe you are looking for?

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

Title: BUTTERKUCHEN (BUTTER CAKE)
    Categories: Cakes, German
    Yield: 12 servings

2 Env active dry yeast
    1/2 c Water, warm
    3/4 c Milk
    1/2 c Sugar
    1 ts Salt
    1/2 c Butter
    4 c All-purpose flour, sifted
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    3 ea Eggs
    ----Butter Topping----
    1/2 c Butter (1 stick)
    1 c Sugar
    1/2 ts Cinnamon
    1/3 c Almonds, blanched, slivered

Sprinkle the yeast over warm water. Heat milk, sugar, salt and the 1/2 cup
    butter together until sugar is dissolved and butter melted. Cool to
    lukewarm. Add dissolved yeast. Place the flour blended with lemon rind in
    large mixing bowl; form a well in the center. Add yeast-milk mixture and
    the eggs. Stir until blended and smooth. Pour into a buttered 9x13-inch
    baking pan, spreading dough evenly. Let rise in warm place about 45
    minutes.

Chop the butter into the mixed sugar and cinnamon to form fine particles.
    Sprinkle over top of risen batter. Add the almonds. Bake in oven preheated
    to 375 F. for 30 minutes, or until top is golden and syrupy. Makes about 12
    servings.

Variations: Streuselkuchen: This is much the same as Butterkuchen except
    that the lemon rind is omitted from the butter and a crumb topping of 1 1/2
    cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup ground almonds and 8 Tbsp (1 stick)
    butter are sprinkled over batter. If desired, 1/4 tsp cinnamon may also be
    added to the topping mixture.

Apfebutterkuchen (a Bremen specialty). Prepare as for Butterkuchen, place
    sliced peeled apples over top of dough before placing in oven. Cover apples
    with same Butter Topping. Almonds are an optional addition (and very
    good!).

False

what was the cake like? sounds like a old german cake

twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    German Butterkuchen

3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 packages active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    2 eggs
    5 cups bread flour

Scald milk and add butter, sugar and salt. Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to milk mixture. Beat in eggs, then beat in flour. Cover and let rise until double, about an hour. Divide into 5 pieces. Roll out into desired shape. Place in 9-inch cake pan and let rise 30 minutes.

Butter topping: Beat together 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly beat in 1 cup of oil; add oil too fast and the mixture will curdle. Heat on top of stove until hot and pour on crust after it rises the second time. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

Cinnamon topping: Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to mix cup each up flour and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle it over crust after it rises the second time. Dot with margarine, if desired. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.

Cherry kuchen: Heat 1 can dark cherry-pie filling on top of the stove. Spread on crust after it rises the second time. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.

Cheese kuchen: Mix 2 cups cottage cheese, 1 egg and 1/2 cup sugar in a blender until creamy. Heat slowly until warm. Pour on crust after second rising and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

Apple coffeecake: Peel and thinly slice 3 apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar to taste. Roll the dough into a rectangle after it rises the first time. Place on a cookie sheet. Fill center of dough with the apple-cinnamon-nutmeg-sugar mixture. Dot with margarine. Cut dough on both sides of the mixture into 1-inch-wide strips. Bring the strips into the middle of the dough to form a crosshatch pattern. Tuck in the ends. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.

cont.
    False
    Tea ring: Roll dough into a rectangle about 2 1/2 times longer than wide. Place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Dot with margarine. Starting with the long side, roll the dough in a spiral to enclose the cinnamon filling. Join the ends to form a circle. Use scissors to cut nearly through the dough at 1-inch intervals. Pull the sections up and out to form a larger circle and expose the spiral interior. Let it rise until about double in size. Bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees.

Sugar glaze: Cream 2 tablespoons softened butter and add about 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, beating until well combined. Add another 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, a dash of salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, more or less, so you can drizzle the glaze onto your coffeecake or sweet rolls. (Good for apple coffeecake and tea ring too.)

False

I am SO HAPPY to see you use the work kucha!!!
    Perhaps does kucha have a (sweet) bread dough base & kuchen have a cake like base?

My mother made kucha. It was like twinkle's recipe (a sweet bread dough topped with fruit or cottage cheese) with an additional topping. This topping was revels (not certain of the spelling), made of (I think) sugar, flour, butter & milk. It is the revels that I can not seem to duplicate. Can anyone help me with this?!

GrandMary, did the pastry you got in Louisville have this additional white topping?

GM, do you know if any of the bakeries that sell kucha do mail order? I found Heitzman online, but they advertise kuchen & the picture doesn't look like my mother's kucha.

Thank you so much, GrandMary & twinkle30!!!

False
    Twinkle30, Thank you VERY MUCH!! I think the butterkuchen is what is called in Louisville "Runny Butter Kucha". I'll try it out and see. The topping on the runny butter one runs when a piece is cut from the pie (shape) and it is warm or room temperature. It is delicious!!!
    False
    Twinkle30, Thank you VERY MUCH!! I think the butterkuchen is what is called in Louisville "Runny Butter Kucha". I'll try it out and see. The topping on the runny butter one runs when a piece is cut from the pie (shape) and it is warm or room temperature. It is delicious!!!
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False