HELP!! How do I get the FISH smell out of a cooler?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP!! How do I get the FISH smell out of a cooler??

Last post Aug 27, 2004 8:20 PM by Crowfeather . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • HELP!! How do I get the FISH smell out of a cooler??
    My DH and DS used the cooler to transport fish home from the lake. The cooler was rinsed with cold water and then got put away with the cover closed. Now we need to use it to transport food, and the fish smell is very strong. I have tried scrubbing it with both lemon juice and vinegar. I can still smell fish. No sunshine today, so I can't set it in the sunshine. Any other ideas? The cooler will be used by 5:00 today. Thanks, Puzz
    False
  • RE: HELP!! How do I get the FISH smell out of a cooler??

Puzz

The only thing I have done is take it to the car wash. Wash and rinse it out and let set open outside. I'm not much help :(

~~LindaChicken
    False

Photobucket

Try Clorox Cleanup and if that doesn't work try some of the orange citrus cleaners. Another thought is Simple Green. It's one of the best cleaners I've ever used. It took mold and mildew off our camper when products made for that wouldn't work.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    Sams Club and Costco sell a product called Odo-Ban. Comes in a large gallon or larger container in concentrate. Works on my son's goalie equipment -- trust me, that's worse than fish! *grin*

~~susie.
    False

My concern was with leaving any residue in the cooler. I know it will be used to transport fish again (sigh) and I didn't want anything bad getting on the fish. Guess I should let my guys have the darn cooler just for the fish and get myself a new one ONLY for food. Am trying the bleach soak now and I do have the orange citris cleaner too. Thanks, Puzz
    False
    Have you tried a baking soda solution?That's what I use in my fridge.Pat
    False
    Try wadded up newspaper and close the lid. It will often absorb odors. Maybe add some dry baking soda to the newspapers as well.

If it still smells this evening when you need it--wrap the food you're putting in it extra well AND put it in clean garbage bags to protect the food from the odor.
    False
    PS--coolers are on sale this time of year! Treat yourself!
    False
    We got the strong fish odor out of a freezer once with used coffee grounds.
    False
    Oops, hit reply too soon.

Charcoal Briquets too!
    False
    Let some baking soda sit in it. Also if you set plastic products sit in the sun for about 20 minutes that will help too. I used to do that with the diaper pail. Just open it up and put it in the direct sunlight. It may cause a little fading of the color but it always worked.

Carrie
    False
    Believe it or not, this tip came in my email this morning! I copied it and came right over to the BB to find your post!

ODOR EATER
    Here's how to get the odor out of just about anything, including stinky coolers, glass jars and musty drawers. Dampen a paper towel and set it into a small container. Pour two teaspoons of cheap vanilla extract on it. Put the whole thing inside the smelly container and close it. Wait for three days. This really works great, even inside old refrigerators.

~~susie.
    False

You know... I have to add my two cents' worth... I LOVE OdoBan for cleaning... BUT... I had the unfortunate experience of burning popcorn in the microwave oven one time. I decided to put some water and OdoBan in a Tupperware container that had an onion smell in it... Then I warmed that in the microwave oven -- thinking that I'd kill two birds with one stone. WELL... the bottom line is that it greatly helped with the smell in the microwave and in the container... but I had to throw the well-rinsed container because it made all of the food taste soapy! Thankfully, the microwave was fine. So -- would the cooler end up like the microwave or like the container if you use the OdoBan? I don't know... Just a thought...
    False
    Susie beat me to it :0
    False

I was about to type a reply, but just now, I see that Susie wrote the same thing!

It was in today's newspaper column by Mary Hunt, called "Everyday Cheapskate".
    False