The Best White Cake Ever | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

The Best White Cake Ever

Last post May 03, 2011 11:56 AM by susandee . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • The Best White Cake Ever
    I got this from my newspaper. It's from a column written by editor of Cook's Illustrated, Christopher Kimball. Further comments on next post.

The Best White Cake Ever

1 cup whole milk at cool room temperature
    6 large egg whites at cool room temperature
    1 ½ cups sugar
    4 tsp. baking powder
    ¾ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 1/3 cups cake flour
    12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened but still firm

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust a rack to the center position. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with softened butter or Crisco and cover the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper. In a medium bowl stir together the milk, egg whites, and vanilla with a fork.

2. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and ¼ of the milk mixture and mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the batter comes together, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium high and mix for 2 minutes stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Add the remaining milk/egg white mixture to the batter in three batches mixing for about 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium high until batter is homogeneous and light, about 30 seconds longer.
    3. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans and bake until the cake is lightly colored, feels set, and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted to the center, about 26 minutes, rotating the cakes 180 degrees halfway through the baking time. (Baking time will vary depending on your oven.)
    4. Remove pans to cooling rack and let rest for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the sides of the pans and invert the cakes one at a time onto cooling rack. Reinvert cakes so the top is facing up and let cool completely. Makes 2 nine-inch cakes.

COOK’S NOTE: This is a great recipe to use as the basis for a classic birthday cake. A simple chocolate frosting works well.
    False
  • RE: The Best White Cake Ever
    What caught my eye about this article was "For moist results, mix dry ingredients with melted butter."

The article which accompanied the recipe said not to cream the butter with the sugar, as most recipes require, but to beat the softened butter with the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients. It said this results in a soft, moist and delicate cake.

Recently I made a cake off BB, a yellow "from scratch" cake and it was indeed very dry. So this might be a good way to mix the ingredients.
    False
    This recipe looks like a definate keeper! Thanks for sharing it! :o)
    False
    bump
    False
    If I read it correctly, you don't have to beat the egg whites til stiff? That's what usually keeps me from making a white cake-tell me it's so!
    False
    Thanks so much for this recipe. I'm always looking for a really good white cake and do not like mixes. Cook's recipes are definitely tops and though I've subscribed off and on,I missed this one. Pat
    False
    I was glad to be able to post this recipe. I sure hope it really is a good moist cake; I plan to try it myself. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't turn out as good as the editor of Cook's Illustrated clains it is.
    Also, notice the amount of sugar...in the article Christopher kimball wrote that explained how he tested and tasted until he got the type of cake he wanted, changing amounts of ingredients until he was happy with the result.
    Also, spraginsmom, you asked if the egg whites were not supposed to be beaten stiff...the article said he found that it made the cake dry, so he did it as described in the recipe directions.
    After I get some whole milk, I'm going to make it...I'll let you know if it truly is a good moist cake.
    Barbara
    False
    I can't wait to try this. Like I said, I usually shy away from cakes with beaten egg whites. For one reason or another, they just don't turn out as well as I'd like. Will try it and let you know. Thanks for posting!
    False
    This looks so good. I am waiting to hear how successful this recipe is. Please, anyone, let us know the results. Thanks, MartyCt
    False
    Thanks for posting shortnsweet! Now I look forward to hearing how it tastes! :-)

ljmanus :-)
    False
    bump
    False

Wattle Paradise

bumping to see if anyone ever tried this.
    False
    :)
    False
    False
    I am also waiting to hear the end results. Please let us know.

Debbie
    False