A Few Recipes from the Mary Moore Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A Few Recipes from the Mary Moore Cookbook

Last post Mar 23, 2013 10:25 AM by Antilope . 64 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 5 (65 items) 12345
  • RE: A Few Recipes from the Mary Moore Cookbook
    Am copying all of these. Thanks for sharing, they look wonderful. Beth
    False
    Great recipes!
    On the first line of the Date Orange Nut recipe, what is the one large unpeeled?
    False
    Oops. 1 large orange unpeeled.
    False
    bump
    False
  • Re: A Few Recipes from the Mary Moore Cookbook

Thank you for the wonderful recipes.  I am looking for a light (or white) Christmas fruitcake recipe of Mary Moore's that was printed in our newspaper many years ago (probably the late 60's).  Would it be in this cookbook?  My 90 year old mother-in-law made this recipe for years but it has been misplaced.  Hope you can help .. it would make a great many people happy.  Thanks!!

False
  • Re: RE: A Few Recipes from the Mary Moore Cookbook

Some Classics here. Thanks for posting~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Found this recipe on AllRecipes and it got very good reviews..I'm sorry it isn't the exact one you needed.

White Fruit Cake

SUBMITTED BY: Brenda PHOTO BY: Allrecipes

"My mother has been making this fruit cake at Christmas time for as long as I can remember. My whole family loves it. I know there are a lot of people out there that have issues with fruit cake, but this recipe has converted even the most reluctant."

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    • 2 cups butter
    • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
    • 8 eggs, separated
    • 2 ounces candied citron peel
    • 2 ounces candied orange peel
    • 1 cup dried currants
    • 1 1/2 cups candied pineapple chunks
    • 3 cups golden raisins
    • 1 1/2 cups candied cherries
    • 4 cups pecans, chopped
    • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup orange juice 

DIRECTIONS

1. Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries. Combine chopped fruit with currants, peel, and citron; soak in orange juice overnight.
    2. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven. Line one 5 x 9 inch loaf pan and two 3 x 8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper.
    3. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in fruit, juice, and nuts. Mix in sifted flour.
    4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks. Fold into batter. Fill pans 2/3 full.
    5. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

Sassygrits

False

Fudge-Iced Brownies
    (Makes a 9 x 13-inch/3 L baking pan)

Mary Moore's Brownie Recipe :

2 cups (500 mL) brown sugar
    1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
    1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
    1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts (optional)( I like Pecans )
    1/2 cup (125 mL) cocoa
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla

Brownie Icing~
    ½ cup (125 mL) butter
    5 tablespoons (75 mL) cocoa
    1/8 teaspoon (.5 mL) salt
    2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla
    2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
    Hot water

Method- Combine The  brown sugar, butter, flour, walnuts cocoa, eggs and vanilla .

With  an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until smooth 

Spread  The Batter evenly into a buttered 9 x 13 (3 L) baking pan. Bake at 300F (150C) until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the brownies comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it, about 30 minutes.

Remove from  the oven . Cool

Icing:

Melt  The butter in a saucepan;

Stir in cocoa, salt and vanilla. Heat  the mixture, stirring frequently, until it reaches a boil. Remove from heat and stir in icing sugar.

(Mixture will be thick.)

Add 1-2 teaspoons  of hot water at a time beating  with a whisk until  the mixture isthe desired consistency  to spread over the  brownies.

False

This is also one of my favourites. I bought it new (about that time) and it is well-used, stained, and I probably still use it at least once a week.

False

Light Fruit Cake

4 slices (8 oz) diced candied pineapple, 1 lb red glace cherries, 1 lb green glace cherries, 2 lb light raisins, 1 lb cut mixed peel, 1 cup shredded coconut, 1 lb whole blnched almonds, 1/2 cup brandy OR white wine, 1 lb butter (room temperature), 2 cups white sugar, 8 eggs, 5 cups stirred but unsifted cake flour, 1 cup canned unsweetened pineapple juice, 1 tsp. pure almond extract.

Soak the fruits and nuts in the brandy or wine overnight in a very large bowl. In a large beater bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light then beat in the eggs until well blended. Add the flour, pineapple juice and almond extract and beat until smooth. Stir this batter into soaked fruits and mix well. (Note that there is no baking powder in this recipe). Prepare 3 loaf pans by lining with double wax paper, buttered. Turn batter into prepared pans, pushing it into the corners and smoothing top. Put water pan in bottom of oven heated to 300 F. and place cakes on center rack. Bake at 300 F. for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 250 for 3 hours longer. Cool in pans on cake racks, then turn out and wrap in triple plastic bags and store in refrigerator or freezer. If you make these cakes well before Christmas you will have time once a week to unwrap and soak SPARINGLY with brandy or white wine. Rewrap and store.

False

Mom used to have some of Mary Moore's recipes I always enjoy reading more of these.

Her Book  now  is quite high priced~Alliea

False

Hello,

My Mother also used a Mary Moore cookbook. She passed 2 years ago and I never found her cookbooks. One of my favorites was the Mary Moore carrot cake. I would love to make this for my Grandchildren. Would you happen to have the recipe form the Mary Moore cookbook? Could you possibly send this to my e-mail address cadams451@cogeco.ca  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Carolyn Adams

False

Hi,

I hope you can help. Mary Moore used to have a cooking column in our local paper in the 70's.  My mother had cut out a recipe for a coconut lemon square, mom said  itwas called irresistable lemon squares.  She lost the recipe 30 yrs ago.  All she can remember was that it used a lot of bowls/pans, but was by far her favourite recipe, she made it for both my sister and my brothers' weddings.  Really would love to find this recipe. I have scoured the internet to no avail. Do you have this recipe by any chance?  Thanks for your time.

False

I have just discovered this forum and I had to go and check to see when my Mom had given me my own copy of  Mary Moore's cookbook.  It was in 1981 and it has been used so much. My Mom and I used to bake together and  Mary Moore's recipes were very much a part of our relationship in the kitchen.  My dream had been to work with Mary Moore in her test kitchen and even though that never happened, her recipes have been enjoyed so very much over the years.

Just yesterday, I came across the write-up on the death of Mary Moore that my mother had saved among her clippings.  I still have the scribblers pasted full of recipes, and other loose recipes from newspapers that my mother had saved. The article had stated that Mrs. Moore had began writing a freelance column in 1928 when she was asked by the Edmonton Journal to submit food stories to accompany a St. Patrick's Day supplement.

Great memories and wonderful,  dependable recipes with easy to follow instructions.

False

We lived in Manitoba growing up and my Mother subscribed to this and got so many good recipes out of it. Brings back some great memories.

False