?How to thicken chili? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

?How to thicken chili?

Last post Oct 07, 2004 6:57 PM by boeboe165 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • ?How to thicken chili?
    What do I use to make chili a little thicker?
    False
  • RE: ?How to thicken chili?
    Add a can of tomato paste.
    False
    You could smash up your beans a bit, I usually try to cook my pintos where the beans are falling apart anyway, but u can also add just a bit of regular instant potatoes too. I use this idea with soups and stews also, if it is needed. Connie
    False
    You could smash up your beans a bit, I usually try to cook my pintos where the beans are falling apart anyway, but u can also add just a bit of regular instant potatoes too. I use this idea with soups and stews also, if it is needed. Connie
    False
    Add more meat & beans!
    False
    I made chili for our last hamburger & hot dog cookout today. I wanted it thick for the dogs so I just didn't add the usual amount of tomato juice and let it cook down as usual.
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    We use a little masa(corn flour used to make tortillas and tamales) blended with some water. It makes a wonderful thickener for chili.
    My dh usually makes the chili. He starts out with 1/4c. masa + 1/3c. water for a regular batch of chili(2-3 quarts).

deb
    False
    as of now the chili consists of meat, beans, tomatosauce, spices and water so it's more like a soup than chili
    False
    i was going to suggest masa also...if its not available look for corn flour especially if your have a bulk store in your area!!
    False
    can I just add the mesa or do I have to mix it with water first?
    False
    It's best if you mix it w/ something. You could take some of the chili juice out and use that. The masa clumps up if you don't make a paste out of it first.

:)deb
    False
    I use a little cornmeal or cream of wheat stirred in. We like our chili to be a little of the thicker side as my kids scoop it up with tortilla chips
    False
    thanks for the great ideas will let you know how it is
    does anyone use cocoa in their chili
    False
    Just let it cook down until it is the consistency that you want. I make my chili in a crockpot and about an hour or so before I want to serve it, I take the cover off and let it cook down.

Now if you don't have the time to let it cook down, try adding so refried beans. Start with just a couple of tablespoons at a time until the desired consistency.

Hope this helps.
    False
    Add refried beans -- I haven't tried this, read it in TOH and it seems like it would work well and the flavors would be compatible.
    False