??? What do Lentils taste like ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??? What do Lentils taste like ?

Last post Oct 08, 2004 8:19 AM by qagal . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • ??? What do Lentils taste like ?
    Help...LOL
    False
  • RE: ??? What do Lentils taste like ?
    I think they taste like DIRT! LOL!
    False
    why they taste like lentils...of course LOL

but a kind of earthy bean taste is a good description... I think

Frankie
    False
    Bronte,
    in Lentil soup, they taste wonderful. My dh thinks that this soup is one of the major food groups. lol
    I fix it often in the cool/cold weather and it's the only soup dh will consider a meal.

doris
    False
    **Waving to Bronte**

False

We grow lentils, so, I am glad that you all like them - please keep buying them :) I posted some lentil recipes a few months ago. I will try and bump it up for you.
    ~Jo
    False
    Dal a lentil dish from India tastes GREAT!
    False
    oh, I LOVE lentils.

Please post a good lentil soup recipe!

Jannalee
    False
    Lentils taste wonderful; if you know how to cook them. They're slightly spicy and adapt well to the ingredients you add to them. Best in soups and, with a little pasta added, will make a complete meal for very little $. Lydia
    False
    I finally found the thread with the lentil recipes - it is over on Hints and Tips. I originally posted it over there for my HC friends. If you try any, let me know what you think of them.
    ~Jo
    False
    I love lentils, and make a nice lentil soup lots in the winter. It is very filling and also very good for you.
    False
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Leave The Rest To God. Anita
    To Jannalee: Aunt Emily's Lentil Soup:

1 bag dried lentils
    olive oil
    garlic cloves
    tomato paste - small can
    parsley - handful of fresh
    salt & pepper to taste

In your soup pot:

Cover bottom w/olive oil; slice garlic cloves in half and gently fry until garlic is lightly browned. Add tomato paste and continue to fry lightly for a few minutes (stir & watch). When the oil takes on a red color from the paste and the cloves are darker, put in lentils: Note: don't soak lentils, just use dry. Stir & mix them all up together. Add the amount of water you'd like; usually to the rim as the lentils will absorb liquid as they cook. Cover & simmer for about 2 hours on stovetop on medium heat. Then add salt (about 1 T.) and pepper.

To serve: Make some small pasta separately to add to your soup. Add some parmesan on top.

False
    Thanks for all the help !

I think with Lentils it seems you either hate them or love them :o)

Cilantro is like that to a lot of people lol

I love cilantro so I will probably love lentils ! lol

I'm going to start a Lentil recipe thread and bring the ones from hints over....

thanks again !

Bronte
    False
    For an easy soup, I put a couple cups of lentils rinsed, with a couple cans condensed beef or chicken broth in a crock pot. To this, I add diced onion, celery, carrot and a can of diced tomato mixed with water to cover.

Cook on high for about 4 hours or until everything is tender. Can also add a bay leaf or 2 and season with salt and pepper. Nice change from bean or pea soup.
    False
    Add a splash of cider vinegar to your dish right before serving...adds a great flavor...we also add a diced potato and bayleaf, but no tomatoes. If you have too many tomatoes in the soup they kind of take over the the flavor ( this is mostly the way it is made in Germany ).

crowfeather
    False