??? making vanilla extract with Everclear | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??? making vanilla extract with Everclear

Last post Jul 12, 2010 9:39 PM by Pegg_KS . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • ??? making vanilla extract with Everclear
    Do you think this recipe would work using Everclear? I can't stand vodka, nor can I stand the high prices of store bought vanilla extract.

Thanks.
    SCMom

Subject: Homemade Vanilla Extract
    Posted by: krazykrafter Replies: 15 Posted on: 10/16/2001 3:45:25 PM
    #T7153
    Homemade Vanilla Extract

It's easy to make a fresh-tasting version of this baking
    staple at a fraction of the price of the store brand.

Yields about 8 ounces

1/2 pint (500 ml) Vodka
    3 to 4 whole Vanilla beans

Remove about 1/2 ounce of vodka from the bottle (Optional
    -- add that 1/2 ounce to orange juice and drink). Cut a
    slit lengthwise down each vanilla bean. Cut the beans into
    3/4-inch pieces. Add to vodka bottle and put the cap back
    on. Place the bottle in an obvious place (on top of the
    refrigerator, on the countertop, etc.). Shake the bottle
    vigorously at least once a day for 30 days. Strain the
    extract through a coffee filter. Rinse the bottle. Return
    the liquid to the bottle.

False
  • RE: ??? making vanilla extract with Everclear
    False

Photobucket

What's Everclear?
    False
    I don;t know what Everclear is, but last year I made my own vanilla using the vanilla beans and Vodka. I am using it, but I won't do it again. In the first place, it is expensive to make. I don't remember how much the Vodka was but I paid $5.00 each for my vanilla beans (you want good fresh ones). Then it had to set for at least 6 months. I had assumed that I would end up with a wonderful vanilla, but it wasn't what I expected. I did a taste test, making 3 dishes of custard, and adding the home made vanilla to one, imitation to another and real to another. And the home made was my least favorite. To my taste, I couldn't really tell much difference in the real and imitation, so I have gone back to just buying the imitation. Works for me.
    False
    Everclear is 190 proof liquor or 95% grain alcohol
    False
    Honestly, I wouldn't make it with everclear! But, maybe I'm just a wimp :)

You can make it with Bourbon though. My mother made it one with vodka, I believe, and I think her thoughts were the same as Conloo's. I've always considered trying it, but then I think back to mom's results, and don't bother with it. I got a pretty good deal on real vanilla at Sam's. I pour it from the big bottle into a smaller store sized one that was empty to keep with my other spices, and store the large bottle in another cabinet.

Amy
    False

WHEW-EEEEEEE!
    The first time I ever had Everclear was in Texas! They called it Cowboy Kool-aid! And thats all I remember!LOL
    Jackie
    False
    I think after getting your feedback and comparing prices on ingredients, I'll just keep buying the ready-made flavoring that I know is good and that won't grow hair on my chest. Thanks for your help.
    False
    I know this is an old thread. Afriend and I are are experimenting. We bought 1 pound of vanilla beans (5" long cuts and splits) for a very reasonable price.
    I ttried a litte with vodka but can't stand it. Vodka is flavored with Juiper berries and that is a no`no for me.
    Look on the labels of real vanilla extract in stores, it tells you that it has 35 - 45 % alcohol, the rest is distilled water and vanilla beans.
    I am trying Everclear (or, as it is also known as "corn squeezings" or
    "White Lighteneing"). It is pure grain alcohol made from corn and does not have any distinct flavor.
    It is more expensive but since it has such a high alcohol content you can thin it down with distilled water so you have 40% alcohol and 60% water.
    Or roughly, half Everclear and half distilled water. The flavor of the vanilla extract will be MUCH better.
    We are also experienting with Bourbon, Cognac and a few others. My friend lives in Fargo and large liquor stores carry very small sample bottles of such things (1 or 2 ozs) so there is no need to purchase large bottles of booze, especially if one doen't drink.I have some Meyers Dark Rum on hand I use for flavoring certain baked goods and will sacrifice 2 ounces to make vanilla extract with.
    We are also experimenting with 1842 recipes for ginger ale, spruce beer, live long drinking that kinf of root and a few others, among them cream soda made with real cream.
    Ij othr words,
    we are having fun, even though we live 400 plus miles apart but the ijnternet keeps us close neighbors.

Grelo
    False

> If you have a dried and cured bean put it in a bottle of Everclear or Vodka. Try the pint size or smaller, per bean. It takes a few weeks, and will turn the solution brown. Good luck.

Fresh vanilla bean is better. Also while Everclear (pure grain alchohol) makes the best extracting medium, it should be diluted 50% with water once you have done the tincturing. Cut the bean into small pieces (to increase the surface area) and shake the mixture every day or two. 100 proof vodka also works fine but takes a little bit longer. The test is when it no longer seems to get any darker and smells wonderful. You will always get some sort of vanilla extract. Which one makes the 'best' is a variable depending on freshness, amount, strength of alchohol,size of pieces, and length of tincturing. Experiment! Even your almost good ones will make nice holiday presents if presented in a pretty bottle. Leave a section of bean in the bottle.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/archives/best/1995/vanilla.html
    False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.
    ooops, forgot to erase part of what I had said about root beer. The recipe for rootbeer from 1842 has many and strange ingredients you could hardly find (fresh Maidenhair Fern is one) and there are 16 others. THat kind of rootbeer should cure anything or kill you and I think maybe that is why people did not live as long back then.
    It was called: Root Beer or Spring Tonic.
    I think a dose of Castor Oil would do without much less trouble.
    Grelo
    False
    Grelo, that cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh. Lynn in Cabot
    False
  • Re: RE: ??? making vanilla extract with Everclear

I realize this post was years ago, but I was curious as to how your experiment turned out.  I bought a bunch of vanilla pods, really cheap and I want to make lots of vanilla to give as gifts for Christmas.  So far I have 2 different cheap vodkas, 2 different brandy's, and a dark rum.  Of course I will have to wait months to figure out which one I like best. 

How did yours turn out and did you just split the beans and take the seeds out or did you chop them too? 

If you remember your results I would greatly appreciate it.  I have been having terrible luck finding someone who has done an experiement with multiple types of liquor.

Thanks,

-Christine

False

Hi Christine,

Here is a link to a thread on homemade vanilla.

I need to up date with new pictures. I am using the vanilla now and it is fantastic!

I have only used 2 kinds of vodka but am going through it rather fast and will start a new bottle the next time I find the beans at Costco. Might go with rum next, i am thinking a light rum.

Homemade Vanilla Thread.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Gin is the one with juniper berries, not vodka!

False

pegg