REC: Swedish Krap Kraker | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC: Swedish Krap Kraker

Last post Apr 07, 2010 2:55 PM by plumcrazy__Alta . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • REC: Swedish Krap Kraker
    3 3/4 cups mashed potatoes
    1/2 tsp salt 1 beaten egg
    2 3/4 cup flour (more, if needed)
    11-12 slices of thick bacon
    2 medium onions, diced
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    Fry bacon,onion,and allspice. Set aside. Mix potatoes,salt,egg,and flour to make a stiff dough. Roll out dough and cut into 6" to 8" squares or corcles and put reserved mixture in center. Fold over to make a patty and seal edges firmly. Drop in salted boiling water and boil 5 to 8 minutes. Take out,cool; then boil again for 5 min. Serve with cream. These are great the next day, fried in butter!!
    False
  • RE: REC: Swedish Krap Kraker
    The name Krap Kraker made me laugh. Maybe it sounds different when they pronounce it. Gosh, I sure sound immature!
    False
  • RE: REC: Swedish Krap Kraker
    Ha Ha. Yes the Swedes pronounce it like "crup crocker"; nothing much like the real spelling.
    ~ Carol ~
    False
  • Re: REC: Swedish Krap Kraker
    My Grandmother used to make these, she took the recipe with her to the other side. I have been searching for this recipe for 20+ years. I have asked hundreds of people, as many Chef as I could and all looked at me as if I had 4 heads. Thank You! My Grandmother also referred to them as Swedish Canon Balls, only thing different I can see is she used salt pork instead of bacon. I am so happy! Thank You! Nan
    False

It's Swedish Kroppkakor !  My parents were both from Sweden and we used to make them at home when I was growing up,  We used salt pork in ours too.  Now my husband and I still enjoy them because there is a store in our town that still makes and sells them.  ( You have to develop a taste for them since they look like dirty snowballs.)

False

My ex step mother, wicked witch, was swedish and they called it palt and yes it is very good fried up the next day.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose