Pumpkin Custard Pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pumpkin Custard Pie

Last post Oct 09, 2011 9:08 PM by Azile . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Pumpkin Custard Pie
    I have just eaten some of Mrs Smith Pumpkin Custard Pie and it was great, does anyone have this recipe.....
    False
  • RE: Pumpkin Custard Pie
    bump for help.
    False

This is the recipe on the back of Libby's Pumpkin. It is excellent!!!
    I have used this recipe for years.

Pumpkin Pie

1-1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    4 large eggs
    1 can (29 oz) Libby's Pure Pumpkin
    2 cans (12 oz each) Evaporated milk
    2 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shells

Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shells.

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 15 mins. Reduce temperature to 350° and bake 40-50 mins or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Note: Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.
    False
    thank you maincook, I too have used that one for years but was wanting to try this custard type one. It was soooo good...........
    False
  • Re: Pumpkin Custard Pie

False
    SANDRA PARKER

Sounds interesting.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I'm like you - I love Mrs. Smith's Pumpkin Custard Pie.  It seems to be sweeter and different textured than a regular pumpkin pie.  I, too, would love to have a recipe to this.

Carolyn

False

PUMPKIN PIE CUSTARD 
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 c. strained or canned pumpkin
    1 1/2 c. milk (part light cream or half & half makes a richer filling)
    Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Mix together sugar, spice, flour and salt. Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin. Add dry ingredients, mixing well. Gradually stir in milk. Mix until thoroughly blended. Pour in unbaked pastry lined pie plate. Bake in preheated oven 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes. (Or will fill two 8 inch frozen pie shells.)
    False

Good luck finding a recipe - I can't even find the pie this year and it's been a favorite for years!  My sister who lives in Calif. says she's not seen one in years, I sure hope this is not the beginning of something terrible here in the south as well!!!!!  I've had my poor husband running to every grocery store within 60 miles as he's out and about looking for  "my" Pumpkin Custard!  Believe me, when I find it I'm filling a shelf in the freezer!

False

Hello,

I called Mrs. Smith's 877-756-4746, because of the same reason we just couldn't find the "pumpkin custard".  Well it turns out Mrs. Smith's renamed the pies, the pumpkin custard is now the "Classic Pumpkin" and the regular pumpkin is now called "Spiced Pumpkin".  Mrs. Smith's said they received a lot of calls in regards to this and I told them whoever made this marketing decision made a big mistake! LOL

I hope this makes you relieved!  It is not discontinued!  I hope you and your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kristine

False

I was so happy that I no longer had to make about 12 pies.  As it turns out this is an old family recepie that my Grandmother Trick told me was a secrete.  I never gave it out.  Now I can't find it in the stores.

Recently I found out that during the great depression she sold it to McCalls, and Mrs. Smiths got it when they severated.  Ia at work, but I will look it up and give it to you.  Now that I know that it is out there somewhere.

Vic Quilter

False

I found this on the Food Network. Is this what you are looking for?

Pumpkin Custard PieRecipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse 

Ingredients

1 recipe Basic Sweet Pie Crust

recipe follows

2 cups canned pumpkin puree

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup whole milk

1/4 cup Steen's cane syrup

2 tablespoons bourbon

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Whipped cream, for serving

Directions Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Roll the pie dough to a thickness of 1/8-inch and, working carefully, fit the rolled dough into a 10-inch deep dish pie plate. Either crimp the edges decoratively or trim the pastry so that it is even with the edge of the pie plate. Decorate the edge with leaf shapes cut from excess pastry dough, if desired. Refrigerate the shell for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before proceeding. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix until well blended. Pour into the chilled pastry shell. Bake until the custard is set and the crust is lightly golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let the pie cool completely before serving. Serve with whipped cream and dust with cinnamon.

Basic Sweet Pie Crust:

8 ounces all-purpose flour, about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening

3 tablespoons ice water

Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water, as needed, to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. Yield: 1 pie crust

False

I would be grateful for this recipe. I have searched for it for years. Please send it to me.

Thank you!!!

False