Teaberry Ice Cream | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Teaberry Ice Cream

Last post May 30, 2012 1:10 AM by chassesm1 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Teaberry Ice Cream
    Does anyone have a recipe for Teaberry Ice Cream? I checked on the internet and found that Teaberries are also known as Checkerberries, Deerberries or Wintergreen.
    False
  • RE: Teaberry Ice Cream
    Do you remember teaberry gum? That was my all time favorite. I wish that they made that again, love that flavor. Will check in and see what you come up with later on. Beth
    False
    Betheny, I find Teaberry gum occasionally in little out of the way stores. I buy it 3-4 times a year just to show my GKids what I chewed when I was young. Usually there's Clove gum and Black Jack gum in the same display with the Teaberry.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    Wintergreen Ice Cream

(Note: If you can't get wintergreen leaves, you may substitute wintergreen oil - not extract - a candy flavoring. It is made by Boyajian and is available at speciality stores or by mail from William-Sonoma.)

2-1/4 cups whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

10 fresh wintergreen leaves or 1/4 tsp. wintergreen oil

6 egg yolks

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a mid-sized saucepan bring the milk, cream and leaves (if you are using them) to a boil over medium heat. Remove and let stand 10 minutes.

In a bowl, blend egg yolks with sugar, then beat at high speed until smooth enough to form a ribbon. Slowly pour cream mixture into eggs, whisking gently to prevent curdling. When cream and eggs are incorporated, pour into a saucepan and heat until slightly thickened.

Strain through a sieve. Add vanilla (and wintergreen oil if you are using it.) Mix thoroughly. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill at least three hours or until quite cold. Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker. (Serves four to six.)

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    Beth they do make teaberry gum. You can find it at Cracker Barrel.
    That is where I buy it.
    ~Susiebear~
    False
    The only place I ever found Teaberry, Black Jack, and Beechnut and Clove is Bucks Party Store in Negaunee. I stock up -send the Clove to my mom. She thinks I am a miracle worker. I sure am going to make that ice cream!
    Randi
    False
    Hey Randi.... Are you a Yoopers fan? Are they still doing shows and making CD's? I think they're a hoot!

John
    False

John

John

M_Wolverine - Thanks for the recipe. I was out hiking the other day and picked 1.5 cups of teaberries. Apparently I should have picked the leaves and not the berries. Let me know if you come up with anything with the berries. Eventually I may also try making tea with the leaves as well.
    False
    You can usually get Teaberry gum through the Vermont Country Store. . .through the catalogue or on-line.
    False
  • Re: Teaberry Ice Cream

I use a basic vaniila ice cream recipe and add teaberry extract (to taste) and red food coloring for the pink color.  It's delish!  Tastes just like what I grew up with.

False