I boiled the Eagle Brand Milk for caramel! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I boiled the Eagle Brand Milk for caramel!

Last post Jan 01, 2013 10:19 PM by NancyHanks . 157 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 11 (158 items) 12345Last >
  • I boiled the Eagle Brand Milk for caramel!
    After hearing how good the carmelized sweetened condensed milk is I just had to take the risk of the exploding can and have me some. I put 4 cans in my large stock pot, covered them with a couple of inches of water to spare and let them boil merrily away for 3 hours. I checked them every 30 minutes to make sure they were still covered with water but since I put a lid on my pot I never lost much water at all. It was very undramatic. No explosions, not a bubble or a squeak. Just 4 cans of liquid gold. YUM!

This caramel is out of this world! To die for? I wouldn't die for it, but I might give a pint of blood in a pinch. And so easy! No stirring, no risking scorching, no fooling with candy thermometers, but you get the smoothest tastiest caramel you could ever want. And now I have 4 cans of the golden nectar. I think I'll make cheesecake, banoffee pie, ice cream, and the last can I'll just keep in the fridge for a quick spoonful of sweetness!

Go forth and boil your cans. I survived, the water's fine, dive in!
    False
  • RE: I boiled the Eagle Brand Milk for caramel!
    Jax - you pioneer you. Go forth and conquer is your motto, right? lol

Question - do you leave the 'liquid gold' in the can or do you pour into another container for storage?

thanks for posting,

doris
    False
    This is fasinating Jax. I read a little about it but didn't realize exactly how to do it so you solved the problem! Thanks for going into such detail....makes it much simpler.
    Tam
    False
    Do you know how long the caramel can be stored in these cans as is? I've never done this, but very interested. You can use it on anything you would want caramel on? Hmmmmmmm.........
    False
    I have been away from the board so long and look what new adventures I have missed! I wonder how many more there are!! I'm so glad that I caught this one though b/c I was looking for a really good caramel sauce to drizzle over my chocolate crawling cake! I never did find one that I really liked, so maybe this one will be it!! :) Thanks for the tip Jaxon.

Melissa :)
    False
    Bumping, I'd like to know about storage also? This sounds soooo yummy!

-Fluffykatz
    ;-)
    False
    I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    I have been making this for years this way. We call it "Dulce de Leche". There are tons of desserts you can use this in. It is great on ice cream. Or poured into a pie shell and topped with whipped cream and chill. Bake a 13x9 cake poke holes in it spread dulce de leche over it, top with whipped cream. I can eat this with a spoon.

The most important thing to remember when making this, is to never let the water boil out.
    False
    Thanks Jaxon!!
    False
    Hi....Jaxon I've been doing this for years. Actually a friend does it for me now, on his BBQ grill gas burner. He does about a dozen cans at once because his wife like to keep them on hand to use in gift baskets. She gets a cute little basket, lines it with a cloth napkin adds the caramel and some apples and viola you have a cute gift. Last year there was a thread on this with some contraversy (sp) as to why/or why not this should/should not not be done, dangers ets. I have never had a problem, but as bebeblues said you MUST keep the can covered with water AT ALL TIMES.
    As to storage I kept the cans about 9 months on the shelf without a problem.
    ~Barb~
    False
    I leave my 'liquid gold' in the can. It's still sealed, just like you brought it home from the store, just in a slightly different state. It's easy to tell from the other cans, since the label has boiled off (but you can write on it with a pen if you think you'll forget what it is). I don't think any can has been able to survive on my shelf for longer than a month :)
    p.s. with apple season coming up, i keep some on hand from when we return from picking apples! YUM!!
    False
    I am leaving it in the can Doris, that way it should last and last just like the milk does before it's cooked. Someone will have to tell us how long it lasts in the fridge once it's opened. I'd like to keep it on hand for ice cream topping.

As to the danger, I think if you keep it well covered with water you should be OK. I checked it frequently and it never looked like it was about to explode to me. As everyone cautions, just keep the can covered with water. Also, I turned my burner to high while I was bringing the water to boil, but after it boiled I turned it down just to the point it would keep the water softly bubbling. Apparently you don't have to do a highly vigorous boil the whole time.

And Luv? I don't know if you would want to use it in place of all caramel in recipes. It has a slightly different taste than regular caramel topping. More of a milk flavor obviously, but still just a little different. I'll still be buying Mrs. Richardson's Caramel Butterscotch topping too. But I pay $3.49 for Mrs. Richardson's. I bought the WalMart Great Value brand sweetened condensed milk for .99 cents a can. Can't beat the price for a can of easy yummy caramel!

Have fun making caramel everyone!
    False
    That's just amazing...I've never heard of this. Am I the only one? heehee...I'm definitely going to try it!
    False
    I just read some of the old posts about this. One cautioned not to do this with the cans that have the pull top. The post said they will explode, no matter how well you keep them covered with water. Just thought I would pass that on.
    False
    sounds good, gotta try it.
    False
    Oh, Jax-you are SO brave!!! Thank you for taking the leap and letting us know we won't have an explosion if we try it!!!
    Now, about that "banoffee pie"...???
    Ellen
    False