I need help with cooking a 22 lb. turkey in a Nesco Roaster | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need help with cooking a 22 lb. turkey in a Nesco Roaster

Last post Nov 17, 2007 12:37 PM by ozziepat . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • I need help with cooking a 22 lb. turkey in a Nesco Roaster
    I've not used my Nesco Roaster much. I know it cooks them faster and juicier, but have no idea at what heat or for how long.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks a bunch.
    False
  • RE: I need help with cooking a 22 lb. turkey in a Nesco Roaster
    When I use my Nesco roaster for turkeys I usually cook them at 325F and check them about an hour before the package times. If you have one of those pop-up things in the turkey, it will usually be popped up by then.

Did that make sense?

Hope it helped.

~Lori~
    False
    I looked in my cookbook at the chart I use and for a turkey betwwen the weights of 20 - 24 pounds set the oven at 300 degrees and roasst for 5 to 6 hours. Don't know if that helps you or not.
    False
    Let us know how it turns out. I have one too but have never used it. Good luck!
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    14 to 22 lb. Turkey, fresh or frozen (thaw completely before roasting - see notes below.)
    Poultry Seasoning, salt, pepper
    (Our Nesco and Babe Winkelman seasonings taste great, too!)
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 tsp. browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)(optional)

Preheat 18 qt. Nesco® Roaster oven to 400ºF. If you have a 12 Qt. Nesco®, a maximum of a 14 lb. turkey is recommended, although the cooking times (per pound) will remain the same.

Clean and rinse turkey; pat dry. Remove neck & giblets (prepare separately if desired.) Place turkey on rack. Using a pastry brush, spread butter mixture evenly over skin of turkey. Season with poultry seasoning, salt & pepper, as desired.

Determine length of roasting time, normally 15 to 20 minutes per pound. A stuffed turkey will add 30 to 45 minutes on to the total roasting time.

First hour of roasting: Stuff cavity, if desired. Cover; roast one hour at 400ºF. With baster, remove any liquid and fat from cavity of bird and from cookwell. Set aside to make gravy if you wish. Brush bird with basting liquid or with butter mixture.

Reduce temperature to 350ºF. Roast for the remainder of the cooking time. With baster, again remove any liquid from the cavity of bird and from cookwell when cooking time is about half-way through. Baste turkey with some of the basting liquids you're removing.

If turkey isn't as brown as you like it, increase temperature to 400ºF. Roast remaining portion of time.

Remove turkey using the lift out handles. Be careful, as the rack will be hot. Set turkey on a platter or cutting board. Let bird stand 10 minutes before slicing.

If turkey is done early, reduce temperature to 200 degrees until serving time.

Note: Roast turkey until internal temperature of meat reaches 180ºF on the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh muscle. Save the juices to make gravy or as a base for soup.
    False
    I copied those instructions of the Nesco site...hope it helps
    False
    i did mine last year in mine...

i did mine at 325 for the first hour and half then i truned it back to 300...took about the same about of time...okay maybe 45 mins less
    False
    Thanks a bunch all of you. Think I can get it done now.
    Going to have it Sunday when the kids are here for lunch.
    False
    bump
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Here is the link for instructions on how to cook a turkey in a Nesco, from the Nesco website. Hope this answers your questions!

Julie
    False
    It would help if I ACTUALLY posted the link...LOL!

http://www.nesco.com/recipes/?category%5B%5D=700&season%5B%5D=600&foods%5B%5D=400&submit=recipe&uid=21
    False
    From the Nesco site.

Roast Turkey

One of the most famous meals prepared in Nesco® Roaster Ovens is the traditional turkey dinner. People have been making their holiday meals in Nesco® roasters since first introduced in the 1930's.

Our cooking methods should give you a moist, tender turkey every time using your Nesco® 18 Quart Roaster Oven.

How to Thaw Turkey
    Completely thaw turkey before roasting. The National Turkey Foundation recommends thawing in the refrigerator.
    Allow about one day for every five pounds of turkey. For example, a 20 pound turkey would thaw for 4 days. Place turkey in original wrapping in a shallow pan. Rinse in cold water before roasting.

To thaw turkey quicker, keep it in original wrapping, place in sink with COLD water. The COLD water must be changed every 30 minutes and must completely cover the bird. For example, a 20 pound turkey would thaw in 10 hours.

How to Roast Turkey
    One 14 to 22 pound turkey, fresh or frozen
    Poultry seasoning
    Salt
    Pepper
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon browning sauce such as Kitchen Bouquet®(optional)

Preheat 18 quart Nesco® Roaster Oven to 400º F. If you have a 12 quart Nesco®, a maximum 14 pound turkey is recommended. Cooking times (per pound) remain the same.

Clean and rinse turkey. Pat dry. Remove neck and giblets. If desired, prepare separately. Place turkey on rack. Use a pastry brush to spread mixture of butter and browning sauce evenly over turkey skin. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Determine length of roasting time, normally 15 to 20 minutes per pound. A stuffed turkey will add 30 to 45 minutes to total roasting time.

Con't
    False
    Stuff cavity, if desired. Cover. Roast one hour at 400º F. With baster, remove any liquid and fat from cavity of bird and cookwell. Set aside to make gravy. Brush bird with basting liquid or butter mixture.

Reduce temperature to 350º F. Roast for remainder of cooking time. Use baster, to remove any liquid from cavity of bird and from cookwell when cooking time is about half-way through. If dry, baste turkey with basting liquids.

If turkey isn't as brown as you like it, increase temperature to 400º F. Roast remaining portion of time.

Use lift handles to remove turkey. Be careful - rack will be hot. Set turkey on a platter or cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

If turkey is done early, reduce temperature to 200º F. until serving time.

Note: Roast turkey until internal temperature of meat reaches 180º F. on meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh muscle. Save juice to make gravy or as a base for soup. Variation: For extra flavor, add 1/4 cup apple or orange juice concentrate to butter basting mixture. If you choose not to stuff it, a sliced onion or a little garlic inside cavity of turkey also gives it a nice flavor

For complete information, please check www.eatturkey.com.
    False
    bump
    False