Does Buttercream Frosting need to be Refrigerated? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does Buttercream Frosting need to be Refrigerated?

Last post Oct 21, 2004 12:25 AM by sauregurke . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Does Buttercream Frosting need to be Refrigerated?
    After the cake is frosted, does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Does Buttercream Frosting need to be Refrigerated?
    I have never refrigerated mine.

Lisa
    False
    I used to make custom decorated cakes, and was told if the frosting (buttercream)was made with milk, it should be refrigerated. I found that you can substitute water for the milk with no change in taste or texture, so you don't have to worry about refrigeration. That's the way I do all my cakes now.

Louise in MO.
    False
    NO it doesn't need refrigeration. It will be fine as long as it isn't boiling hot where you leave the cake.
    False
    HOW DO YOU MAKE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING? I HAVE MEVER MADE IT. THANKS
    False
    Jobee, this is the recipe from the powdered sugar bag.

Buttercream frosting.
    In a mixing bowl combine 1 lb. powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/3 cup (2/3 of a stick) soft butter OR margarine. Beat with electric mixer or heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too stiff, beat in a few drops of milk. Frosts tops and sides of two 8" or 9" layers.
    MY TWEAKS:
    I use the same measurements, but not their mixing directions. I cream the butter (I used white Crisco), a few grains of salt. Add water a little at a time, alternating with the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy and easy to spread. Add flavoring last. I use water instead of milk and white Crisco instead of butter. When I decorated cakes, the icing needed to be white and butter gave it a yellow tint. Try this, it tastes so much better than canned frosting. You can add whatever flavoring you like. Almond is especially good. Hope this helps.
    False
    The real German Buttercreme,used to put in between cake layers and used as icing has to be refrigerated.
    False