ISO: tips for making divinity | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: tips for making divinity

Last post Oct 28, 2004 4:38 PM by hunibuni . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ISO: tips for making divinity

I have some recipes which calls for standing mixer and another recipes says that One of the key notes is this (recipe) will not work if it is damp/humid weather.

I am looking for easy recipes of true and tried tips on making divinity
    False
  • RE: ISO: tips for making divinity
    I'll copy a post for you I found some time back.
    --------------------------------------
    Subject: Yippee! I figured out how to make good meringue cookies!!
    Posted by: LuvMaerz Replies: 12 Posted on: 2/5/2002 5:40:56 PM
    #T26849
    I got a recipe for meringue cookies from the TOH cooking school magazine I got last fall/winter. However, I could never get them to turn out right. They either burned or were too gooey. And they were sooooo hard to get off the cookie sheet that I broke nearly all of them into little pieces! Well, I figured out some tricks to making these cookies, and they turn out perfect now :)

1.) First off, make sure your egg whites are at room temperature before beating. I think it helps keep them fluffy.

2.) Prepare your cookie sheets by covering with aluminum foil or parchment paper. That way, you can peel the crisp cookies right off and not have to worry about breaking them when they stick to the cookie sheet.

3.) Put your meringue "batter" in a ziplock baggie, cut the tip of on of the corners off, and use it as a pastry bag to pipe the cookies out onto the prepared cookie sheets. That way, the cookies look nice and they are the same thickness throughout.

4.) Finally, cook at a low temperature for 1-2 hours. I have been cooking mine at 200 degrees and checking on them every 15 minutes. (The recipe I have says to cook at 350, but I find that they don't get crispy throughout).

I was about to give up making meringue cookies, but I now use these tips and they turn out soooooo delicious!! Very light and crispy :)
    False
    MICROWAVE DIVINITY

Effort: average
    Comments: Don’t make this on a rainy day. WE PREFER WITH NO PECANS

Ingredients:
    2-1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup white karo syrup
    1/3 teaspoon salt
    2 egg whites, beaten stiffly
    1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped, optional

Instructions:
    Mix first 4 ing. In 2 qt. dish, loosely covered with waxed paper
    Microwave on high for 5 min. uncover & stir. Microwave on high another 8 - 10 min., until hard ball stage (260)
    Beat 2 egg whites on high til firm. Mix syrup, slowly, with egg whites, beat 4 - 5 min. Add vanilla & pecans. Spoon on wax paper

"Cherish yesterday, dream tomorrow, live today"
    False
    And here is the recipe, again, copied from the same post.
    -------------------------------------
    I would be happy to post the recipe! I will post it as the recipe says, but I DID NOT have luck when baking at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes. They never turned out good. If you make this, I really do suggest cooking at 200 degree for 1-2 hours (until crispy and golden).

Mini Morsel Meringue Cookies
    from TOH Fall 2001 Cooking School Edition

4 egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 cup sugar
    1 pkg. (12 oz.) Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels (I don't use these, I just make them plain :o)

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in morsels, 1/3 cup at a time. Drop by level tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until meringues are dry and crisp. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire rack and cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
    False
    And another..............

Posted by: Berny Posted on: 2/8/2002 1:45:59 PM
    #R172753
    This is a different meringue recipe but it is so simple and turns out every time. My sister usually makes these at christmas but you could make them any color you want or leave plain. I have used mint chocolate chips and left out the mint flavoring.

2 egg whites
    2/3 cup white sugar
    2 drops green food coloring
    5 drops peppermint flavoring
    6 oz pkg chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375F. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar and continue beating. Add coloring and flavoring and beat until well mixed. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop onto foil lined cookie sheets. Turn off oven as soon as you put cookies in. Leave in oven overnight - no peeking! If you want more don't double the recipe as they will not turn out.
    False
    These recipes all sound so good. pls
    False
    Thank you all for your help and recipes, now I need your feed back of the following recipes I am posting on this thread
    False
    Chocolate Swirl Divinity
    3 cups sugar
    3/4 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup water
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 egg whites
    1 12 ounce package (2 cups) semi-sweet real chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons vanilla

In 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved (5 to 8 minutes). Without stirring, continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches 260 ° F or small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a hard ball (30 to 60 minutes)

Meanwhile, in large mixer bowl beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form (2 to 3 minutes). Reduce to medium speed; continue beating while slowly pouring hot syrup into egg whites in a thin stream. Beat at high speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture loses gloss and starts to hold shape (4 to 6 minutes)

By hand, stir in chocolate chips and vanilla just until chocolate melts and forms swirls. Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto buttered cookie sheets. Cool completely.

Tip: Divinity should be made with a standing mixer; a hand held mixer does not have the power to beat the syrup to a stiff consistency.

False
    Creme Divinity

Prep Time: 5 min
    Total Time: 25 min
    Makes: About 2 dozen pieces or 24 servings, 1 piece each

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup water

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

dash of salt

1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans

PLACE sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in heavy 1-quart saucepan. (Do not stir.) Bring to boil on high heat, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 248°F.

BEAT marshmallow creme and vanilla in small bowl with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Gradually add hot sugar syrup, beating at medium speed until well blended. Beat on high speed 5 minutes or until mixture just begins to lose its gloss and hold its shape when dropped from spoon. Stir in pecans.

DROP teaspoonfuls of the marshmallow creme mixture onto sheets of wax paper. Cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

False
    Divinity
    This divinity recipe was posted by Karlyn.
    INGREDIENTS:
    • 4 cups granulated sugar
    • 1 cup light (not dark) corn syrup
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 3 egg whites (room temperature)
    • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • food coloring
    PREPARATION:
    Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Continue cooking until mixture forms soft ball when tested in cold water (or use a themometer). In the mean time, beat egg whites until stiff. Then pour 1/2 cup of syrup over whites, beating fast all the time.
    Continue to cook remaining syrup while beating egg whites, until syrup reaches the light crack stage when dropped in cold water (this will happen quickly). Pour remaining syrup over egg white mixture, beating all the while. Continue beating until candy begins to hold its shape. Stir in vanilla and nuts and food coloring. Drop by teaspoonsful onto waxed paper.
    Makes 50-60 pieces.
    Tips from westcj
    The recipe from Karlyn sounds just like mine, and I make it every winter. One of the key notes is this will not work if it is damp/humid weather.
    Test the hardness of the syrup in a small bowl filled with water that has been chilled with ice cube. When you drizzle some of the syrup into the bowl it is ready when it stays "floating" in the air and does not sink to the bottom. then WORK REAL FAST. Test a spoonful on waxed paper, if it keeps its shape after just a second you can start to spoon. If you wait until it is too firm, the last 1/2 of the batch will be too difficult to spoon out.
    You can pour this into a foil lined pan that has been Pam sprayed then cut into squares if you are not comfortable spooning it out.
    False
    Divinity
    Post by Linda

4 c. sugar
    1 c. light corn syrup
    Dash of salt
    3 egg whites
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Combine sugar, corn syrup, 3/4 cup water and salt in a 2 quart glass dish. Microwave on High for 19 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or to 260 degrees on candy thermometer. Beat egg whites until very stiff. Pour hot syrup gradually over egg whites, beating at high speed for about 12 minutes or until thick and candy begins to lose gloss. Fold in vanilla and pecans. Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper.

False
    Is anyone familiar with these divinty recipes posted here, will ti turn out good. All sound good, but i need the divinity expert opinion.
    False