HELP! How do you fix collard greens? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP! How do you fix collard greens?

Last post Nov 01, 2004 8:27 AM by ozziegran . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • HELP! How do you fix collard greens?
    My DH and I invited a guy he works with and his fiance to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. Today, when I spoke to him, I asked him what his favorite part of Thanksgiving was, what one item "made" the meal.

Well, bad for me, he picked Collard Greens!!!! I have never had a collard green, let alone cooked one.

Can anyone help me!??????? Please??? How do you cook collard greens?
    False
  • RE: HELP! How do you fix collard greens?
    I too love collard greens. Here is a website I found that tells you how to prepare them. Mine were never as good as those made by a friend of mine who made them as a staple for her family every Sunday. She would bring me some leftovers for my lunch the next day as my family hates them!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CollardGreens.htm

In fact, I think they are better if made the day before. They are wonderful reheated.
    False
    First you have to strip the greens. taken the stem end and pull. That will stip out the hard part. If you don't strip your collards, they will be tough. Wash them good to get off any dirt . We always fried a piece of VA cured side meat in shortening or oil. Country ham pieces will work or salt pork. Then we put that into the pot with our greens and water. Add salt and pepper. Cook until tender.
    False
    Here is another site

http://www.chitterlings.com/collards.html

My friend also made them with fried side pork or ham & always added 1 or 2 jalapeno pepppers to them.
    False
    I bumped up an old thread for you also
    False
    Hi There,
    The best way to cook collards since you have never cooked them before, buy some frozen ones from the grocery store. Get some ham hock or smoked ham. Put your ham hocks into a large pot,cover with water, cook until they are tender, adds the collards cook them until they get tender, season with salt. you might have to put some bacon grease or some oil to make them tender. The longer you cook them the better they are. Also, they are better the next day. Being from the deep south, we cook this delicacy quite often. You have to have corn bread sand pepper sauce to eat with this.
    Hope this can help you!
    BHSBearcat
    False
    They are better cooked day before and reheated. Be sure to drain the liquid before serving. You don't want the liquid in the collards when you serve them. Here in Virginia, we cut them up into small pieces before serving also. Drain them, cut them up good, then serve.
    False
    Thank you all SO much!! Sounds easier than I was afraid it was going to be. I may make a batch in the next couple weeks to practice.

What do collard greens taste like? Is it anything like spinach?
    False
    And one more Web site for you, from Cut `n Clean Greens, which grows and sells triple-washed, sliced collards all ready in a 1- or 2-pound bag. All the hard stuff is done for you, and you just use them in whatever recipe you like!

www.Cutncleangreens.com
    Click on the "recipe" button on the left side, and then you can specify collards and you'll get a bunch of different ways to use them!
    False
    Collards have their own flavor :) It is kind of hard to describe, maybe, kind of, like a cross between cabbage and kale. Maybe someone else has a better descriptive of the taste, but, no, not like spinach.
    False
    Similar to Turnip Greens.I always put a bit of sugar in them when cooking to cut the bitterness.Pat
    False