How do you keep mashed potatoes fresh? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you keep mashed potatoes fresh?

Last post Nov 05, 2004 12:28 PM by moms_rule_OH . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How do you keep mashed potatoes fresh?
    On Thanksgiving, I am serving mashed potatoes. The thing I hate about it most is that I always have to mash them at the last minute, when there are so many other things to do. Is there a way to make them in advance (not necessarily the day before, but maybe an hour or two before serving), and keep them so they still taste like they were freshly mashed? If I mashed them and put them in a casserole dish and put them in the oven, would that change the flavor, or dry them out?
    False
  • RE: How do you keep mashed potatoes fresh?
    Use your Crockpot to keep the potatoes nice and warm. You can mash them up to 2 hours before and they will taste just like you just mashed them. I always put a little water in the crockpot and let it warm up. Throw the water out before you put the potatoes into crockpot

Margaret
    False
    That is a great idea! Thanks Margaret! :o)
    False
    My mom makes the best potatoes.

She mashes them the day before with cream cheese and sour cream ..then just throw them in the crock pot that day and they are done....

My husband says even mine aren't as good as hers

False
    Stick them in a microwave proof bowl and reheat. Just stir them with a fork a couple of times until they are hot all through. I do this all the time and I get my potatoes mashed and out of the way hours before the meal. Marlene
    False
    We use a crockpot to keep them warm, but you can also put them in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
    False
    I always use a crock pot, I put a thin layer of milk in the pot before I add the potatoes then set on low and they always taste great. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

I use to work in a restaurant and they made the best mashed potatoes. They used Yukon Gold potatoes rather than white baking potatoes which turn "gummy" after several minutes of mashing them. They would use the wax wrapper from the butter and lay on top of the potatoes. The chef said at home, you could just use wax paper - keeping your oven on a low setting of course. Here is the recipe I use which is a smaller version of what they use:

3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
    1 cup milk
    3 1/2 Tablespoons butter

Peel and cut potatoes into uniform size chunks. Put in a pot and cover with cold water. bring to a boil and cook until done. drain in a colander for a few minutes. Melt 3 1/2 T butter in 1 cup whole milk. Mash potatoes while gradually adding milk / butter mixture. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
    Last year, my cousins boyfriend made mashed potatoes and he actually used a handheld mixer and whipped those potatoes for about 5 minutes. They were like paste by the time he was done. Reason? the more you mix them the more starchy they become. Yukon Golds are lower in starch though and they have a buttery flavor. Make them at home and lay a sheet of buttered wax paper over them to keep the heat and moisture in. HOpe that helps.
    False
    My suggestion is to add sour cream to the mixture. It keeps the potatoes creamy. Here's one you can use as a guideline. Otherwise, use your favorite recipe and just add some sour cream in place of some of the milk. Just reheat in the microwave or a low oven.

Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes

3 lbs all purpose potatoes, peeled and quartered
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 c milk
    1/4 c butter, softened
    1 T each chopped chives and chopped celery (optional)
    1 t salt
    1/4 t pepper

In large saucepot, add potatoes and enough water to cover; bring to boil. Cook 12 min, or until tender, drain. Return potatoes to pot. Mash until smooth. Stir in sour cream, milk, softened butter, chives, parsley, salt and black pepper until combined.

When I add sour cream to mashed potatoes, I do so in small quantities at a time, so as to ensure that the potatoes don't get too thin. You can always add more to the mixture as needed.

I'll try and bump up some of the other recipes I've posted before for potatoes, since the Holidays are fast approaching.

Arlene
    False
    The crock pot is the only way to go.

I will peel my potatoes, cut them up and place them in cold water right after lunch. Then cook and mash them. Put them in the crock pot on low. That way when dh comes home, I have time to spend with him before I cook the meat and fix the gravy.

Kathy
    False
    I make mine the day before and always use some cream cheese which seems to help keep them fresher tasting and creamier. Don't overbeat, in fact use a potato masher if you can. The next day put them with a little extra milk or cream into your crockpot on low. Don't do this all day, just 2-3 hours before serving time and they will be as good as new!
    False