need ideas for packing a "Pioneer" lunch for my third grader! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need ideas for packing a "Pioneer" lunch for my third grader!

Last post Nov 08, 2004 2:31 PM by ljmanus . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • need ideas for packing a "Pioneer" lunch for my third grader!
    They are studying pioneer days and I need to pack a period-friendly lunch on Mon and Tues. Any ideas?
    False
  • RE: need ideas for packing a
    I found this on a search...

Some pioneers make breakfast. When the sun greets a new day everybody starts to eat breakfast. A food they ate was pancakes. Pancakes are an all time great breakfast as the ingredients say only flour, water, baking soda, and a skillet to cook them in. Some people would bake bread in a Dutch oven. A Dutch oven is a large covered pot used for baking bread, rolls, and biscuits. Some people call Dutch ovens bake kettles. They put butter on their breads because the bread was so dry. They made butter by using a butter churn. A butter churn is a container with a dasher used for making butter. A dasher is a stick or plunger. The butter churn was tied to the side of the wagon. As the wagon bumped and rocked the wagon stirred the milk, making butter.

Nooning is what pioneers did for lunch. A water hole is where a lot of pioneers stopped to eat. They would eat leftovers from breakfast so they didn’t have to cook at nooning time.

Pioneers ate different types of meats for dinner. Dried bread and bacon is what some pioneers had for dinner. Bacon was cooked when pioneers could collect wood for fire, and when there was green grass all over and no firewood the pioneers ate their bacon raw.

Meals also consisted of biscuits, potatoes, bacon, dried meat, crackers, dried fruit, corn meal, beans, and eggs.
    ~Lori~
    False
    When I taught third grade, my class had a colonial day and had a colonial lunch. Many of the items would be the same. Try packing some beef jerky, cornbread, some type of apples for the Johnny Appleseed connection, beef stew, and nuts. Some years we were lucky enough to get some venison.
    False
    Grabbed my DD's Little House Frontier Food Cookbook. Here are some ideas:

drink - eggnog, Gingerwater, lemonade, cider
    apple turnover
    biscuits
    ham
    pound cake
    sour dough bread
    farmer's cheese
    cornbread
    raw carrots
    turkey
    apples

Have fun!
    False
    Mostly biscuits with syrup or a cold baked potatoe (in winter the potaote was baked so it would keep their hands warm while walking to school and their lunch was the same potatoe) was the main take to school lunch of the pioneer kids.
    False
    LOL! My FIL always tells the kids that he was so poor growing up that he took a baked potato to school to keep his hands warm, then ate it for lunch.
    False
    What came to my mind was from the "Little House" books, where Laura's ma would split a corncake and spread it with molasses for Laura & Mary to eat (I don't remember if it was breakfast or not). But that would be easy to do with corn muffins, and they could be wrapped in a cloth napkin and kept w/o refrigeration.
    False
    My grand mother taught country school when she was 16. That was how old you had to be to be a teacher. She taught penmenship and art. She told us that they would take a large slice of homemade bread with homemade butter and jam. Maybe a piece of chicken, if there was any left over. An apple from their tree and a cookie for some kind a sweet that her mother had made. it there was no meat there might be homemade curd like stuff that what we would call cheese. This was wrapped in a towel and there was a tin cup at school for water that came from a cistern,(you who live on farms know what that is). Or if they were lucky the man who owned the land where the school was might have the milk cows going thru from one pasture to another and he would milk one or two for the kids to have fresh milk. Now that is a pioneer lunch.
    False
    Dianae,I also had a friend whose father claims that he used potatoes to keep his hands warm and thenate the potato for lunch, of course he also said that he walked up hill to and from school for 2 miles.
    Still havent figured out how you walk up hill both ways but many parents claim that one. Hmmmmm.
    False
    how about fruit leather or dried fruit.
    False
    What great ideas!!

Ljmanus :-)
    False