What do you put in your turkey for flavor? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you put in your turkey for flavor?

Last post Nov 12, 2004 7:20 AM by cgadsby . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What do you put in your turkey for flavor?

What do you put in your turkey to flavor the meat but not stuffing. I don't stuff my bird but would like to add some herbs in the cavaity, maybe and orange. What do you do with yours?

Carrie
    False
  • RE: What do you put in your turkey for flavor?
    I stuff it with chopped granny smith apples and onions, and it makes the meat slightly sweet and very moist. I use a roasted garlic herb rub under and on top of the skin.
    False
    I just add salt and pepper, but the orange sounds really good. Have you ever thought of brining you turkey. I have done that to mine for the past few years and it turns out really nice and has a wonderful flavor. Lot's of different ingredients can be put into the brine,that the turkey soaks in therefore it goes into the turkey creating a moist and tasty turkey. ~Janie~
    False
    I sprinkle mine with Jamaican jerk seasoning! I then put it into a buttered brown bag and let it roast ever so slowly.
    False
    Lady Creole, This would be fantastic with chicken, What is the oven Temp? What size Turkey? Regular brown paper bags? I would like all of the scoop on this one. Thanks in advance~Janie~
    False
    2 or 3 whole carrots, 2 or 3 celery stalks and a quartered onion.
    False
    Hi Janie!

Use a good quality jerk seasoning...such as Walker's. I always pick up a jar (along with spice bun, Jamaican curry, soursop puree, tamarind puree, ginger beer, etc.) whenever I find a Carribean market. Anyways, use a regular sized brown paper shopping bag. Butter the inside of the bag. Coat the turkey with the jerk seasoning and put it into the bag. Close the bag and roast it at 300 - 325 degrees. A quality jerk seasoning will be spicy and a little sweet. It sure kicks up the taste of turkey.
    False
    Lady Creole thanks again , I am going to give this a try . I have a perdue oven roaster in the freezer, I will give it a test run on Friday. You may have started something here. I don't know that I would use it on the turkey but definately on the chicken and perhaps a pork loin, I love the jerk seasoning, I got a real good recipe years ago from a chef on the FTV show.The chef was Cheryl Smith from Jamacia, It uses , just guessing about 10 different ingredients and is wondereful on chicken wings. For giving me such a wonderful tip I will post it tomorrow. ~Janie~ P.S. I have a wonderful friend in the Islands that always makes DH and I Homemade Ginger beer every time we visit.
    False
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Carrie
    False