Recipe:Cook`s Illustrated`s Panko Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe:Cook`s Illustrated`s Panko Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs

Last post Sep 27, 2007 6:48 AM by us2bthin . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Recipe:Cook`s Illustrated`s Panko Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs
    Panko Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs

Chicken skin gets rubbery when baked. Remove it easily by grasping the skin with a paper towel so it doesn't slip out of your fingers. A wire-rack set over a foil-covered shallow baking pan allows heat to circulate around the chicken during baking, resulting in crisp chicken without turning.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/2 cups panko
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon dark mustard
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    6 meaty chicken thighs, washed, skin removed and patted dry with paper towels

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle olive oil over panko in a medium bowl and toss well to combine and moisten.

Mix eggs with mustard, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic powder and cayenne with a fork in a second shallow dish or pie plate.

Working with one piece at a time, coat the chicken on all sides with the egg-seasoning mixture. Drain off excess and toss the chicken in the panko, turning so that all surfaces are coated. Place chicken on rack in the baking pan and repeat with the remaining pieces.

Bake until chicken is deep nutty brown and the juices run clear, about 40 minutes.

from Cook's Illustrated.
    False

Cool

• RE: Recipe:Cook`s Illustrated`s Panko Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs
    Sounds good, but what is panko?
    False
    Panko is a japanese bread crumbs. I don't know what makes them different but when I have used them things are really crispy. I find them usually in the oriental section at the grocery store.
    Lois
    False

Thanks for the recipe. I've just recently learned about panko crumbs and I love to use it instead of flour when possible, just to "jazz" things up a bit.
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Panko bread crumbs are made special to crisp more~don`t know what is done to them.

I tried to make home~made tempura like the boxed one and it didn`t turn out~so, I am going to buy pre~made Panko crumbs...lol
    False

Cool

Thanks for the info! I will look for panko bread crumbs next time I go to the store. I'm curious now.
    False
    False