? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy

Last post Dec 07, 2013 3:02 PM by DakotaDaughter . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • ? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy
    Hi all,

I have a question. I was making peanut butter fudge last night & I dont have a thermometer yet (going out to get one today) & I was suppose to cook the mixture to a soft ball stage. I cooked it too long b/c as soon as I started to pur it into the pan it started getting hard.

About how long do you cook until the soft ball stage?

TIA
    Aimee
    False
  • RE: ? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar-stages.html

Go to the above web-site and you will find complete info on cooking candy.
    False
  • RE: ? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy
    Put a small dish of ice water beside the pan in which you are cooking the fudge. When you think it is getting CLOSE to the soft ball stage (or whenever you want to try), drop a little bit of the fudge off of the end of a spoon into the ice water.

If it just all "swirls around" in the water, it isn't ready yet, so dump it out and get fresh water.

When a small amount dropped in the ice water FORMS A SMALL BALL (clumps together) in the water, it is a SOFT BALL STAGE. (You should be able to take the little "ball" of fudge out of the ice water and hold it in your fingers.

If you want a hard ball stage, you have to let it continue cooking until the little "ball" is very hard between your fingers; but if you are going to try to cook something that long, it really is better to get a candy thermometer.

Hope this helps!

Judyfish
    False
  • Re: ? Re soft ball stage when cooking candy
    I saw that no one really answered your question.... Boil for 10-15 minutes. test for soft ball stage at 10 minutes, if it's not there yet, boil another 2 minutes and test again. My fudge generally takes up to 16 minutes to reach soft ball stage. It'll take anywhere from 15-20 minutes to cool to 110 degrees. If you do get a candy thermometer, let the temperature rise 2 degrees higher than the recommended temperature for soft ball stage. I don't use the thermometer cause I ALWAYS end up messing it up. Just remember to keep testing after 10 minutes...Sometimes different stove tops heat differently, you'll have to kinda play with it to find your perfect timing.
    False

When I cook to Soft Ball Stage, I don't cook to a particular time, I cook to a specific temperature.  Off the top of my head, I think Soft Ball Stage is 240 degrees. I always use a thermometer, although I know about the water drop method, too.  It's so easy to miss the critical temperature.  By using a thermometer, I get consistent results with every batch.

False

I use both thermometer and water test.  I agree with Geri (for caramels anyway) Don't be in too big a hurry to pull pan off heat at 245.  Caramels will be slightly soft if you do.  Good luck!  And keep trying even if you fail--it seems you can sometimes have flops even if you do it exactly right. 

False