Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size

Last post Oct 21, 2014 10:13 PM by carol1229 . 23 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size
    Hi,

This is a really good recipe for cheesecake. I am not a fan of graham cracker crust so this is perfect for my taste. I like this recipe because it makes a cake pan full.

Enjoy,
    Jackie

CHEESECAKE

1 pkg. yellow cake mix (reserve one cup)
    2 Tbsp. of oil
    Two 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1-1/2 cups milk
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    3 tsp. vanilla

Mix one egg with remaining yellow cake mix and oil. The mixture will be crumbly. Press into a 9x13 casserole three-fourths up the sides. In another bowl, mix together:
    Two 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 cup of reserved cake mix.

Mix on medium speed. Slowly add:
    1-1/2 cups milk
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    3 tsp. vanilla and mix until smooth

Pour onto crust and bake 40-50 minutes at 300 degrees until set.

Top with topping of choice. I like this plain also.

False
  • RE: Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size
    I love cheesecake.Thank you so much.I will have to give it a try.
    False
  • RE: Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size
    Jackie...these are really good and simple. We cut them up brownie style and have never thought of adding a topping. Good idea...Thanks

Fratz
    False
    DH wants a cheese cake for his birthday to take to work so this will be the one I make. He works nights so a sheet pan is just right for his crew. He LIKES pinapple so I will try pinapple cake mix and make a pinapple topping .
    Thanks for posting this and it will be yummmy.
    Evelyn
    False
    Nannahintx1,

Thanks for the idea of using the pineapple cake mix for the crust. I had never thought of changing the crust flavor. I guess I like the yellow so much that I never even thought of changing it. I think I'll try chocolate and add some caramel drizzle on top. Now the different varieties are endless. Pineapple sounds delicious too. I hope it turns out for you. Some people don't add a topping, but mine usually cracks on top and the topping helps to hide this. You're a genius !!!!

Jackie
    False
  • Re: Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size

Do you think this recipe would work with Red Velvet cake mix instead of yellow?

False
  • Re: Cheesecake using yellow cake mix as the crust. Makes a 9 x 13 cake pan size

Bump to find later. Thanks. Looks good!

False

I like the idea of using a cake mix for the crust and making it in a 9 X 13 inch pan. I also find the use of the pineapple cake mix to be ideal with some added coconut on the topping.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

This sounds easy and delicious.  I'm going to try it with the pineapple cake mix.

False

Thank you Jackie for this great idea.Yes

False

Wattle Paradise

I used to make this recipe all the time. I recently wanted to make this but lost my recipe. Thank goodness this website still keeps recipes that were posted years prior. I now have my recipe back.

False

...and now that you've bumped it up- we do too!

Thanks!

Margaret

False

Noble- can you let us know if the smaller cake mix sizes affect the crust ?

Thanks.

~Susan

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Hi Susan,

Are you referring to the Jiffy cake mixes that are much smaller than a regular Duncan Hines size? If so, I have never tried a smaller cake mix before. Sorry I couldn't help.

Jackie

False

Hi Jackie...I'm not Susan but I believe she's referring to the 3 main cake mix companies downsizing their mixes from 18.25 ounces to 15.25 ounces (Betty Crocker and Pillsbury) and 16.5 ounces (Duncan Hines).  Maddening as all get out because the smaller size really messes up the older recipes we all have made for years with the larger cake mix.

I found a Three Ounce Cake Mix Upsizer Recipe that has worked well for me when using the downsized cake mixes to make cookies.  I keep a jar of it in my cabinet, weigh out the appropriate amount given whatever brand cake mix I have and whisk it into the dry mix to bring it up to 18.25 ounces.  It works great.  Cyndy (Munchmouse) created a mix that worked well for her with Duncan Hines mixes when making cupcakes-it's further down on that upsizer thread.

Maddening isn't it?

The recipe you shared sounds delicious. :)

Carol

False