What brand of Turkey do you buy ?Best Tasting? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What brand of Turkey do you buy ?Best Tasting?

Last post Nov 17, 2004 1:09 PM by lulabell . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What brand of Turkey do you buy ?Best Tasting?
    Do you think there is a difference in the brands of turkeys? I have bought Butterballs and Honeysuckel. Which do you think is the best tasting?

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Dianne
    False
  • RE: What brand of Turkey do you buy ?Best Tasting?
    Hi, I love Butterballs but they don't like me at all...I always have stomach cramps after eatting some. The HOneysuckle White doesn't do that to me. I have bought Amish turkeys and all manner of store brands but they are just plain not as good. My friend swears that if you 'brine' any turkey it is as good as any on the market..but, I am not an authority on that. I know you are counting on everything for Thanksgiving being very special and I wish you well. Mary
    False
    I usually buy whatever is cheapest including store brands. I really can't tell a difference in them.

I brined the turkey for the first time last year and it was wonderful. I'm doing it again this year with the recipe that Emeril used Sunday or Monday. It's a bit different in that it has brown sugar and citrus in it. Hope it's as good as last years. Carol
    False

Carol

I only buy the Honeysuckle or Honeysuckle White. I've tried the cheaper ones and gotten burned too often - too boney, grisly meat,

The Honeysuckle (even the turkey breast) has never failed me, so that's my recommendation.
    False
    Casf, please let us know how your brined turkey turns out. I watched that episode of Emeril's and was half tempted to try it.
    False
    I swear by brining too. I buy whatever is on sale as long as it is labelled "young". I used the molasses brine from epicurious.com last year and it was OUTSTANDING!
    False
    I usually by Butterball (only because that is what my Mom always bought). I also brine them before cooking for a more even flavor.
    False
    I ususally get a fresh turkey from my butcher. It's a lot more expensive, but it is IMO worth it. I have tried Butterball, the skin browns nicely without a whole lot of basting. PammieJ.
    False

There's no such thing as "try". You either do, or you don't.

I have brined the cheaper storebrand turkeys and they have always come out very good. Would you mind posting the recipe for Emerils brining and also for the molasses brine? I would like to try something new this year.
    Thanks.
    False
    I have to agree with PammieJ. We buy a fresh, locally grown, Ladino brand turkey at the fish and poultry market for Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I also get one or two frozen Honeysuckle turkeys to pop into the freezer for frying in the springtime. I used to buy Butterball until I found out that the "butter" under the skin was really butterflavored shortening. That is when I finally figured out why I had to pull off so much grease from the juices so that I could make the gravy. It was really a "duh" moment and I had a good laugh at myself.
    False
    I come from Iowa where the Land O' Lakes has their turkeys and yet, I prefere Carolina turkeys they are juicier and better tasting then any of the rest. Also they can go from freezer to oven.
    False
    I love Butterball, but in NY we have the Wegmans chain and they have some wonderful tasting turkeys also, very moist. Beth
    False
    I have tried almost every brand of frozen turkey, and all are fine, imo.
    The one fresh turkey I did was *by far* the very best.

We will probably do 2 this year - one traditionally oven roasted with stuffing, etc, and another 12 lb, brined and fried.
    False
    Emeril's Turkey Treasures Episode
    Brine: (10 to 12-pound turkey)
    1 cup salt
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 oranges, quartered
    2 lemons, quartered
    6 sprigs thyme
    4 sprigs rosemary

To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.) Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.
    Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of water.

Remove the neck, giblets, and liver from the cavity of the turkey and reserve for the gravy. Rinse the turkey inside and out under cold running water.
    Soak the turkey in the brine, covered and refrigerated, for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours
    False
    bump
    False