recipe for fleischkuekle | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

recipe for fleischkuekle

Last post Dec 06, 2013 10:17 AM by pippin3 . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • recipe for fleischkuekle
    My husband grew up in North Dakota. He remembers a dish he used to just love called fleischkuekle. It is a meat filled pastry made with hamburger and onions. If anyone has this recipe can you please share it with me....
    False
  • RE: recipe for fleischkuekle
    I have not tried this recipe, but it comes from my hometown cookbook.
    Fleishkuechle
    Dough:
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    Equal amounts of water and cream to make a soft dough
    Filling:
    2 cups ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    Salt and Pepper
    1/2 cup water
    Mix Well. Put filling onto 1/2 side of dough that has been rolled out to the size of a saucer. Fold dough over and seal edges. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper. Eat warm.
    Hope this is what you are looking for. What part of ND was he from?
    False
     Click for Jamestown, North Dakota Forecast
    THANK YOU SO MUCH DARITA. Tha sounds like what he is talking about. My husband grew up in Hazen North Dakota.
    False
    My husband is from Zap North Dak his mother made these all the time. In fact we just took a trip to Ca and I put them on the dash board to warm, very good. Also I learn from my sister in laws using one egg and using half and half milk made a softer dough contec me if you want to know my husbands last name
    False
    The other lady gave you the correct recipe, but I change it. I beat 1 egg than I dump in 1 qt of half and half milk, I start adding the flour and just keep adding and adding till the dough is workable. I mix it real good than I cover it and let it rest. My husband does the meat, he uses 3 lbs of not fat hamburger and puts in one pork sauage He adds salt and pepper, but now he makes a patty to fry so he can taste the meat to see what it needs, If it lacks something he adds beef billioun to 1 cup of water or even more of the beef . Before I start rolling out the flour mixture he starts adding water THIS IS TO INSURE THAT THE MEAT SPREADS EASY AND THE DOUGH DOES NOT TEAR. I make about 10 of them and he adds water again because the meat gets harded to spread. In fact he keeps adding water as I need it. OK now if you deep fry them in the oil most likey they will be raw meat in the inside, we stand them up and put them in a 9 by 13 pan with bread underneath to catch any greese. By the time you get them finish, everything you have in the oven warming will be done. I love to beat into them and what you think is greese comes out, its the water. But after my first bite I love to put catsup in them man oh man are they good
    False
    As I told you my husband was from Zap which is close to Hazen He really would like to hear from you
    False
    Fantandsassy,
    Thank you so much for the help with the recipe. I have never made these nor have i heard of them until my husband came along. I plan on trying them next week. I have my mother-in- law wanting to make them also. I guess they used to eat them all the time when they lived in Hazen. My husband has such wonderful memories of ND. He says everyone was friends with everyone. So much differnt than where we live now(Reno). Please tell your husband if he is interested to let me know and I will give him my husbands e-mail and they can chat:) Thank you again
    False
    bump
    False
  • Re: RE: recipe for fleischkuekle

I lived in hazen in 1978-1979.  I was a sophmore in high school then.  I miss fleischkuekla.

False

I am from Ft. Clark North Dakota.. off Highway 200...I grew up with fleischkuekle... Its an awesome holsome food.  I turned my kids onto them one year when we were home visiting. They love them.

I made some today as a matter of fact.... They are awaiting to be deepfried. I sure hope they taste good. I should have tested my meat first  by doing the patty, but did not think of it at the time. So next time.

Wink

False

I had never heard of this til the other day.  My family  & Iwent to   Minot, ND this past weekend and stopped at Kroll's diner for lunch.  It is one of my kids' favorite places to eat when we go to Minot.  Anyway, I decided to try something different and Fleischkuekle was on the menu.  The waitress said it was good so opted to give it a try.  German cuisine has always been one of my favorites. although I had nothing to compare to, this dish was without a doubt, AWESOME.  That is how I came across your post- looking for the recipe to make at home.  So if you ever want to give it a try, go to KROLL'S on the highway. 

Sincerely,

Susan

False
    Don't share a recipe you haven't tried first

this lloks like the sane recipe my mom taught me.  I also grew up in ND Hazen, Garrison, Bismark, and Jamestown.  My father was norm and raised in New Town.  We also made krumkaka and knoephla soup sered with warm lefsa!

False

I ived in Hazen spring 1973-christmas 1974 was in Mrs. Orestor's (spelling?) 6th grade and her 4-H club.  My dad worked for Dave's TV repair and ,my mom at the Schooner restaurant..  I miss ND very much.

False

My family loves fleisch keukle and we make them a few times a year.  We are from Jamestown/Minot but all live in California now.  Here is the recipe we use, notice we cook the hamburger before it goes into the dough.

Fleisch Kuechle  by Sandy Norton Sielig

1 ½ lbs. hamburger

1 medium onion chopped finely

3 beaten eggs

1 cup cream or half and half

1 ½ tablespoons lard

1 ½ tablespoons butter.

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons salt. (portioned)

½ tsp. black pepper

Oil for fying

Brown about 1 ½ lbs hamburger with chopped onion, 1 ½ tsp. salt and pepper. Drain well and cool.

Mix together 3 beaten eggs and 1 cup cream or half and half with 1 ½ Tbsp.. each lard and butter (room temp) .Stir together about 3 cups flour with 1 tsp. baking powder and ½ tsp. salt.  Mix together with cream mixture.  Add flour until dough has a soft, sticky feel.

Heat oil to 375.

Roll out dough on floured surface - knead in flour as needed.   (I use about 2 cups of dough at a time).   Cut into squares - place about a Tblspn. Of meat onto square - fold over and seal edges by pinching together.   Brush off any excess flour.

Deep fry about 4 at a time until golden brown - about 2 minutes per side.    Drain and cool on a rack.

These freeze well and are good warm or cold.

False

I had to say hello...I was searching for fleischkuekla recipes and came across your comment.  My grandmother always made these for us.  She lived in Stanton ND and I miss it too.  Gonna make it for my dad's 79th bday on Sunday.  By the way, did you know Tyrell McBain?  I was working with him recently and got to know him quite well.  Sad, Sad, Sad.  I also know his mother...we graduated from Pembina a couple years apart.  RIP!

False