Need ideas...Has anybody's church ever done a really special Thanksgiving service? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need ideas...Has anybody's church ever done a really special Thanksgiving service?

Last post Nov 23, 2004 8:24 PM by royalpita1ca . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Need ideas...Has anybody's church ever done a really special Thanksgiving service?
    Looking for some ideas. I have some in my head but wondered about your churches. My DH is a pastor and it is always a challenge to try something new but if you have done it and it went over well, then that would tell me it was a good idea!!!!
    Susan
    False
  • RE: Need ideas...Has anybody's church ever done a really special Thanksgiving service?
    We usually do a collection for the local food pantry at the community-wide Thanksgiving service. We don't have a special service, but our church takes part in the community one.
    False
  • RE: Need ideas...Has anybody's church ever done a really special Thanksgiving service?
    One year we had all of our young people invite a favorite teacher and had a lovely turkey dinner to show our thankfulness the impact our teachers make on the lives of our children. It was very much appreciated and quite an outreach in the community as well.
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

Nice Question! We recently moved to another state and the church we belong to now has a lovely way to celebrate Thanksgiving. We have a pot luck breakfast at the church that goes from 8 to 10 AM. The Pastor brings a short message after the meal. We have some hymn requests and also many testimonies are given to show our thankfulness to God for how He has blessed us throughout the past year. It is truly a wonderful blessing to be there. It's warm and personal sharing with our church family.

It is always well attended. We finish up around 10 o'clock. If anyone needs to leave before that, they are surely welcome to just get up the go and get on with their day!
    False
    We have an 8 AM service of song offered by a local church's male chorus. The minister offers a 10-15 minute message of Thanksgiving and then we head downstairs for a wonderful breakfast (sausage, eggs, grits, warm applesauce, biscuits, bacon, etc.). I LOVE this tradition and have only missed it twice since being a 20 year member. This year will be a third time as I will be visiting family out of town.
    Hope you come up with something great
    False
    Baptised my nephew Sunday and the minister announced that they were going to have a service Wed. evening with a pie social to follow. Everyone was invited to bring a pie to share and if you couldnt bring one then come anyway and join in, there would be enough for everyone. I thought that was a very nice effortless social where people could just enjoy themselves and still have fellowship.
    Denise
    False