Does anyone know how to keep bottom pie crust from getting so wet? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone know how to keep bottom pie crust from getting so wet?

Last post Nov 28, 2004 8:37 PM by Mom3boys__Missouri . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Does anyone know how to keep bottom pie crust from getting so wet?
    I made a custard pie for thanksgiving and the bottom crust seemed very soggy. Is there a secret to keep this from happening? Roberta
    False
  • RE: Does anyone know how to keep bottom pie crust from getting so wet?
    If it's a baked shell i brush mine with beaten egg white and return it to the oven until it has dried usually 5 mins. or so .... i do that for Lemon pies etc.
    works great ...
    False
    Truffles
    Thank you for the hint. This was not a baked shell though. But thanks again and will keep it in mind.
    False
    bake the pie on a baking/pizza stone or a preheated cookie sheet. if using a cookie sheet, don't use the air bake ones and make sure it's one that won't buckle when it gets hot.
    False

When I make custard pie I bake the shell a few min before I put the filling in even tho it does not call for BAKED shell. That way the crust gets a head start baking and it seems to keep it from getting soggy and still has enough time for the filling to cook so you might want to try it. I saw the hint somewhere years ago and have been doing ever since.
    False
    Allspice, I do the same and it works for me.
    False
    Are you using a glass pie pan? I used to use the foil ones, and always had a soggy bottom crust. Now I always use glass, and it is much better!!
    False
    I sprinkle plain corn meal in the bottom of the pie before adding the filling. You can't taste it and it absorbs the moisture. Worked great on my pumpkin pie.
    False
    Oh, you BBer's are so smart and thanks for the info. It is always so nice to get these informative posts.

Boe
    False
    Bake your pie in the bottom of the oven, rather than the middle.

I agree with the pre-baking just a few minutes, especially if it is brushed with egg. (I use yolk for some reason) Also, the glass pie plate does make a big difference.
    False
    If you use the butter flavored crisco you wont have that problem. I finally made mine using crisco and my crusts have never been soggy.
    If you don`t use crisco, maybe try baking the crust for a few minutes? Or I have heard of some people putting a little sugar on the bottom of their crust.
    False
    I've heard that using a frozen pie crust helps with this. I made the TOH cranberry pecan pie, using my own homemade frozen pie dough. It came out great, but I did need to bake the pie an additional 15 minutes.
    False
    Thanks everyone for all your help! It was a glass pan and was on the bottom of the oven. So, I will be sure and bake the crust a little first and sounds like that should do it. Thanks again for everyone's help. Roberta
    False
    melt some chocolate and pour that on the bottom. let it get cold and it will harden and the wet wo'nt soak through.
    also sprinkle some flour on the bottom of the crust too.
    False
    I saw this on the "Apple Pie hint" thread. One poster said they always brush the bottom crust with a little apricot preserves before putting in the filling to keep it from getting soggy. I am trying it next pie I make. Tippytoes
    False