Kiffles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Kiffles

Last post Nov 27, 2004 5:49 PM by MJH43 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Kiffles
    Ok, i am new and would like to know if anyone would share a good kiffles recipe with me. I am going to try and do this this year with the help of some friends and need a super recipe.

Thanks

Mary jo
    False
  • RE: Kiffles
    First of all welcome, Mary Jo! Glad to have you here...you'll love it on this board!
    There are great people and great recipes. What more could you ask for?!☺

I have never made kiffles before but found this recipe on the web. They sound delicious and similar to a cookie my grandmother use to make!

Here is the recipe:
    -------------------
    Kiffles

This is my Grandmother Rose Stubberud's recipe. She was a good Norwegian cook.

Ingredients Needed:
    6 cups flour
    3 cups vegetable shortening
    About 1 1/3 small packages of yeast
    2 egg yolks or one whole egg
    3 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
    1 cup milk
    Powdered sugar
    Jar of apricot preserves (you can use any other kind, but they won't be Kiffles)

Directions:
    Warm milk and add yeast and sugar. Stir and let stand until dissolved. Cut shortening into flour. Add eggs and blend in. Add milk mixture. Knead until dough is soft and rich. Roll out and cut into 2 o3 inch squares. Put 1/2 teaspoon preserves in center of square. Roll up from corner to corner. Seal. Curve corners to make a crescent shape. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. When cooled, roll in powdered sugar.

Found at:
    http://www.theshadowalker.com/kiffles.html

False
    This recipe was a friend of mine and been in her family forever. I made them once and they were great.

Kiffles

Blend 1 lb. butter
    6 cups flour

Add 1 dozen egg yolks
    3t. lemon peel
    1 pint whipping cream
    2 pkg. dry yeast
    3 T. sugar
    Mix toether, form into 1" balls and put in fridge overnight.

Filling

1 dozen egg whites- beaten stiff
    Add
    1 1/2 lb. ground walnuts
    1 1/2 lb. powdered sugar
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    1 1/2 t. almond extract
    juice of 1 lemon or 3 T. lemon juice.
    Mix until well blended. Roll out each ball on floured surface. Spread out filling (like spreading butter on bread), roll up and shape like a cresent. Bake on ungreased sheet at 350 for 15 min. Makes about 16 dozen.

I usually make 1/2 a recipe. It is time consuming but are worth it.

d.

False
    Thanks for the warm welcome that was quick. Also thanks for the recipes i will try them and see. I am planning on having friends over for a cooking party and will see how these turn out. I will let you all know.

Mary Jo
    False
    bump
    False
    This recipe is very good. From an Italian lady I knew years ago.

Kiffles

7 cups flour
    l pound shortening 1/2 marg 1/2 veg
    shortening
    l cake of household yeast
    l cup milk
    3 eggs
    l tsp salt
    4 T sugar

Blend flour, salt and sugar cut in shortening. Heat milk lukewarm dissolve yeast in it - beat eggs well
    make a well in the flour mixture and add liquids. blend mixture. Pinch off dough size of walnut. Roll in an oval shape using pwd sugar to roll in. May use apricot, date & nut or cherry filling. Bring sides up over filling overlapping. Bake at 375º until golden. When they are cool may be stored in a container but do not have a closed lid. I usually just put a tea towel over them. The powdered sugar keeps them crisp.
    False
    I love kifles and they can be made either with yeast or without, and with different fillings. I have made them both ways. This is my Mom's recipe and it doesn't have yeast in it. A little messy to make lol but oh so worth it.

Mom's Nut Kifles
    recipe from my Mom :-)

1 lb. margine(I use Imperial brand)
    4 cups flour
    3 egg yolks
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    reserved egg whites
    1 1/2 cup. ground nuts
    1 1/2 cups sugar

Combine nuts and sugar and set aside. In a large bowl, cut margarine into flour. Beat the egg yolks and sour cream together. Add to flour mix. Divide dough into 8 parts. Wrap each in wax paper and chill for 8 hours. Roll each piece on floured board in about 8 in. circle.
    Cut into wedges. Brush outer edge(about 1 in.) with beaten egg whites. Sprinkle combined nuts and sugar over egg white. Roll up each wedge starting at the wide end. Brush with egg whites, dip in nuts and sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 deg for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Take off pan immediately and cool. Dust lightly with powdered sugar if you like.
    False
    Thank you all of you for responding i am going to try doing this and will let you know how it comes out....Saw the new TOH today and think i might even try a polish recipe in their for a poppy seed bread it looked good. I am getting brave to try new things...don't usually do yeast stuff because i am scared of it but i am going to go for it.
    Thanks again

Mary Jo
    False