Bill Knapp's chocolate cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bill Knapp's chocolate cake

Last post Nov 24, 2008 2:54 PM by JennRo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Bill Knapp's chocolate cake
    Might anyone be able to share a clone recipe for Bill Knapp's Restaurant chocolate cake and frosting? My daughter loves them and I would like to be able to make one for her birthday. Thanks from KatetheCook
    False
  • RE: Bill Knapp's chocolate cake
    CHOCOLATE CAKE LIKE BILL KNAPP'S (Gloria Pitzer)

1 box (18 oz.) devil's food cake mix
    1 1/2 c. warm water
    2 eggs

Beat all ingredients together with a mixer on medium-high til smooth. Pour into a greased and floured (9x13x2 inch) baking pan. Bake 325° for 35 minutes or til tester in center of cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. While the cake is in the oven prepare the topping.

TOPPING:

In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water, combine 1 stick butter or margarine, 1 bag (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 can (14 oz.) Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk and 14 oz. light Karo syrup. Cook over the simmering water, stirring only occasionally, til smooth (about 20 minutes). Remove from hot water and beat with an electric mixer til smooth.
    Cut cake into 8 squares and top with a generous spoon of topping while it's still warm. Top each square with a scoop of vanilla ice cream just before serving. Store topping in refrigerator, tightly capped, for up to a few months. Freezes well. Reheat in microwave a serving at a time.
    (makes 1 quart of topping)
    False
    Thank you so much!! This will make her day! I knew I could rely on the wonderful people on this bulletin board.
    Thanks again,
    KatetheCook
    False
    You're welcome :).
    False
    Could you frost the cake, and then freeze it?

I see you said could freeze but I think you meant the frosting only.
    False
    I haven't made this cake, just answering her request. But sounds like the frosting is more like a Hot Fudge type that you just pour over the cake. I think I would keep them separate and just heat the frosting and top the cake before serving.
    False
    Do you have a Meijer store near you? They sell the "real deal" there.

Ljmanus :-)
    False
  • Re: RE: Bill Knapp's chocolate cake

Some Meijers actually don't sell THE CAKE anymore. I love that cake and tracked it down. Awrey's bought the recipe from bill knapps. I've tried looking up the recipe but you only get the one with the liquid chocolate frosting.... and that's just not the same. There is an outlet store for Awrey's in Livonia, MI. Fresh cakes are available there!!! It's awesome!! http://www.awrey.com/

False