sandbakel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

sandbakel

Last post Feb 09, 2007 5:55 PM by dutchmom4MI . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • sandbakel
    Does anyone have a Sandbakel recipe? I used to have one from my Grandmother but can't find it.
    Also, is there a trick to getting the dough into the tins evenly?
    False
  • RE: sandbakel
    This recipe is for Sandbakelser, or "Sand Tarts", so called because of the ground almonds. They're easy to make and very good and there's lots of room for variations.
    You need Sandbakel tins, which are small fluted metal cups maybe 3 inches across and and inch and a half or 2 deep. Sort of like small metal
    cupcake cups. Anyway, here it is:

Sandbakel

1-1/2 sticks butter or margarine
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup blanched, ground almonds
    1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, flour, ground almonds and almond extract. Mix together until crumbly. Let rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
    Butter (or spray) tins. Press dough into tins, forming a cup. Bake at 375º for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
    They are great right out of the oven, or they may be filled with fruit, whipped cream, or jam and served as a dessert.
    Enoy,

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Twinkle30,
    Thanks for the reply. I saw this recipe on the internet also. We just never made it with the ground almonds. How do you press the dough in evenly? I already have the tins. I made these many years ago but don't know what happened to my recipe. That was the major issue on my request.
    False
    Would a tart shaper like you use for a mini muffin pan work? It might not, because these tins sound like they are a bit wider, but it might. It's a small dowel with a flattened round piece at each end (it's all one solid piece of wood). It's sometimes called a tart tamper. You should be able to get one at any kitchen store.
    False

cooknchic,
    I already have a tamper for my mini tins. You know little tart pans? Well, Sandbakel tins are like that except have ridges all around like a cupcake liner. They are about 3 inches across and slope down to a flat bottom. I'm not sure how the tamper would work. I know that when I've pressed with my thumbs I've gotten it too thin on the sides and thicker than I'd like in other places. It's worth a try though. Thank you!
    False
    I'm sure that happens easily. Even with a tart tamper, I get uneven crusts on tassies sometimes.

Do you kind of spin the tin as you press? That may help keep the pressure even...

Amy
    False

Sandbakkels

1 1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup lard (another solid shortening may be used but this is one of only a very few things I make that cry out for lard)

1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp. almond extract (or 2 tsp. vanilla)
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt

Cream together the butter, lard and sugar. Add the eggs, almond extract, flour and salt, then mix well. Press dough evenly and as thinly as possible into sandbakkel tins. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until as browned as you like. After you remove the tins from the oven, turn them over and let them cool on a rack. Tap them lightly with a spoon before completely cool and hopefully they will fall out from the molds. If they do not--assist their removal with a fork.

Pressing the dough into the tins evenly is a matter of practice. I use my thumbs and just do the best that I can. This is my family's all time favorite cookie!
    False
    vell,
    Thanks for the recipe and the tips. This one sounds more familiar. I'm going to try it even though I'll probably just use crisco. I don't remember my grandma's using lard...
    False
    Thanks for these recipes. I used to love this cookie. My third side of the family was Scandanavian & I remember my aunts making these. There were excellent. I have the tins, either from my aunt or my Mom might have made some.

Its been a long time since I had these.

I was wondering if you could fit another same size tin into the tin with the dough to help smooth it out. Just kind of fit them together & tamp down somehow.

Diane
    False

Diane

diddleydi,
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure that since the tins are fluted that it would be a mess. The dough is soft.
    I'm going to just try to press them in as best I can.
    LOL - I have artificial nails that really cause problems when I'm trying to crimp my pie crust. The thumb nails are just too long! Personal problem. I know!!
    False
    I found one that uses cardoman as the flavoring.

http://www.thecookietin.com/scandina/s_sand.asp
    Scandinavia > Sweden

Sandbakkel
    This fascinating butter cookie with a hint of the Swedish spice cardamom. It looks like an upside-down tart that's waiting to be filled, but it's not. These are made with Sandbakkel moulds in Sweden, however, little tartlet pans work well.

type: refrigerator, formed
    makes: 4 dozen

1 cup butter
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
    pinch of salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    water, as needed

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
    Add egg vanilla, cardamom, and salt.
    Gradually add in flour.
    If mixture seems dry add a few drops of water.
    Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 375°F.
    Lightly grease tins.
    Press about 2 teaspoons of dough into each tin; press along bottom and up the sides.
    Place tins on a cookie sheet.
    Bake 6-8 minutes for the little tins, 12-15 minutes for the larger tins. Cookies should be lightly browned.
    Let cool 5 minutes, then unmould cookies and place on wire racks to cool completely.
    Serve with the open end facing down
    False
    Sandbakkel
    1 cup of butter
    1 cup of sugar
    2 cups flour
    1/2 cup almonds chopped very fine
    1 egg ( slightly beaten)
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract.

Cream butter and sugar - add almonds -add egg -
    beat gently - add flour - CHILL dough - line tins (no need to spray
    because there is so-o-o-o much butter ).

Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Watch the edges and reduce the oven
    temperature if they brown too quickly. I like to make a test with one
    first to see if I need to change the oven temperature. This will make 24.
    Posted by N.L Melissa Dec. 1998 It was her great grandmothers.
    -------------------------
    False
    Shirley Sorenson says her sandbakkel recipe makes an enormous quantity. It was handed down from her Aunt, who probably got it from her mother who was born in Valer i Solor in 1883.

Grandma's Sandbakkels
    3 Cups shortening (use lard that fattigman has been fried in)
    3 cups sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    4 tablespoons cream, scant
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Flour enough to handle (6 cups)

Chill dough slightly, and press into sandbakkel tins
    Bake about 8-9 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and while still in the tins,immediately turn upside down.
    My Grandma did not want them (as she said in her accent) 'too tick'. . I can remember sitting in my Grandma's kitchen around the table with the wood burning stovemaking it nice and warm, with my mother and aunts and pressing the dough into the little pans.
    Kathleen Stokker in her book "Keeping Christmas" was kind enough to print my memory on page 28.

False
    RC OH

Boy, reading that takes me back. I am the 2nd youngest grandchild of 19 with my Mother being the youngest. My Grandmother was from Denmark and "too tick" was definitely heard there. My name, Kathy, was "Katty". That "th" was hard to pronounce.
    Thank you for the recipes and memories.
    I liked reading about using the lard from fattigmann. My husband and I were discussing should we or shouldn't we make fattigmann this year? Since our house is on the market I decided that we shouldn't do it. I really hate the smell of the grease in the air. I'll miss the taste though and the rosettes too.
    False
    That reminded me of my Grandmothers also. Grandmother(paternal) and Great Grandmother(maternal) came over from Europe(czech/austrian). They both had the thick accent and would pronounce things in their own way.

Good luck selling your house. Hope one of those recipes is one that's close to what you were looking for.

RC
    False