whipping cream vs. heavy cream vs. half and half | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

whipping cream vs. heavy cream vs. half and half

Last post Dec 13, 2004 6:59 PM by moonchild_oh_34f . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • whipping cream vs. heavy cream vs. half and half
    I have a recipe from Quick Cooking a while back for Pumpkin Soup. It calls for a cup of whipping cream. At the grocery store, they have several things... one marked Whipping Cream, one marked Heavy Whipping Cream and then there's Half and half. I usually use the one marked plain old whipping cream.

When I picked up a few things at Wal-Mart yesterday evening to make this soup again, all they had was Heavy Cream and Half-and half. So I got the heavy cream, but wonder if the half-and half would have been ok instead. I like to cook on the lighter/low-fat side.

I do realize you probably can't whip Half and Half into whipped cream. But this recipe just called for it to be stirred in at the end.

Do you think the half-and half would have worked, and also, could someone tell me exactly what the difference is between these creams as far as cooking is concerned? I can see the fat content is different.
    False

• RE: whipping cream vs. heavy cream vs. half and half
    I usually just use a can of evaporated milk when a soup recipe calls for whipping/heavy cream.
    False
    I think the biggest difference is in which will whip and which will not...There is light cream sometimes too. In cooking, it's more a matter of consistency and richness. If you are trying to make whipped cream, half&half won't whip.

Amy
    False

For soups etc you can definitely use half and half or even whole milk if you want to "lighten"it.To whip a cream it must be labeled whipping cream or heavy cream.I frequently buy half anf half at Sams to mix with my 2% milk for baking as I never buy whole milk anymore,but find that most baking recipes do just as well with the 2% milk as do my soups etc.Pat
    False
    I drink half and half instead of whole milk, taste more like fresh cow's milk. Sometimes I add a pint of heavy whipping cream to a gallon of milk and people are constantly aksing me what brand of milk do I buy, it tastes so good.
    False
    Sounds tasty Homestyle but loaded with fat and calories!Have to admit though,I'm not into this tastelass Lo Fat stuff. Pat
    False
    Both whipping cream and heavy cream will "whip". The difference is in the percentage butterfat. I think one is like at least 37% and one is like at least 35% or something-may not be exact numbers but they are very close. Both can generally be used interchangeably whether in cooking or for whipping.

Half and half wont whip-doesnt have enough fat.

Evaporated milk will whip if cold enough-but not quite the consistency of true whipping cream. This is often used as a replacement in a lot of lowfat desserts.

Cream in soups is often used to thicken. You wont get quite the same results with half and half or milk, but esp if it isnt a huge quantity, the difference should be negligible. You could add a tbsp or 2 of flour, cornstarch or some potatoes or rice to thicken it instead I suppose.
    False