Help - I'm making merigue and it won't stiffen up!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help - I'm making merigue and it won't stiffen up!!!

Last post Dec 19, 2004 8:26 PM by CookieG . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Help - I'm making merigue and it won't stiffen up!!!
    I've been mixing my merique for an hour now and it's glossy, but not thick!
    Is there still hope???

Vicki
    False
  • RE: Help - I'm making merigue and it won't stiffen up!!!
    Bump for help...
    False
    Was all your utensils cold enough when you started? Maybe put it all in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. But I'm totally guessing here, I don't have the real answer.
    False
    Egg whites should be room temp when doing a meringue-not cold. Were your eggs cold or room temp?

If you are doing a meringue where you drizzle in hot syrup, your syrup may not have been hot enough.

After an hour, Id say it isnt going to set. Meringue should only take a few minutes to "set".
    False
    I actually ended up putting the bowl (with beaters and all) in the fridge. But this was after I beat the merigue for an hour. Still nothing...
    False
    Some meringue tips:

Meringue recipes work better with eggs that are at least 3 or 4 days old.

Cold eggs separate more easily than those at room temperature because the whites hold together better.
    To separate an egg: Crack the egg and hold the shell halves over a bowl. Transfer the yolk back and forth between the halves, letting the white drop into the bowl. Do not cut the yolk (whites containing any yolk will not beat properly). Transfer the yolk to another bowl.

When separating eggs, if a speck of egg yolk falls into the egg whites, lift it out with an empty eggshell half. Do not try to fish it out with your fingers; the oil on your skin will prevent the egg whites from expanding.

After separating, bring egg whites to room temperature to ensure volume when beating.

Make sure that all your utensils are completely dry. Meringues are very sensitive and they don't like any moisture. Don't make meringues on a rainy or really humid day (remember that they are mostly air and if that air contains a lot of water, it will have an effect).

Place the egg whites into a large, tall bowl and set your mixer to its highest speed and start making bubbles! Personally, I would not hand beat a meringues (too much work).

When beating egg whites and the recipe calls for sugar, add the sugar at the very end when the whites have formed soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, a few spoonsful at a time, beating the whole time. As a general rule, add a total of 1/4 cup of sugar for each egg white.

The meringue is done when it is not runny and when you can hold a spoonful of it upside down and none of it drops off. Also when you swirl a spoon through it and the swirls hold their shape infefinitely.

To cut baked meringue into serving pieces, use a knife dipped in cold water.
    False
    Did you add some cream of tarter?
    False