Your best 3 to 5 ingredient Main Dishes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Your best 3 to 5 ingredient Main Dishes

Last post Jan 22, 2010 12:25 PM by Rebecca_WV_40 . 51 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1234
  • Your best 3 to 5 ingredient Main Dishes
    I am really in a cooking rut. I am not the best, not the worst either I hope, but I need some ideas.

I appreciate it. I'm going to go to lunch and hopefully when I return I'll have tons of ideas for my dinners.

Thanks in advance you wonderful people...you may be saving my taste buds and DH's too. =o)

May
    False
  • RE: Your best 3 to 5 ingredient Main Dishes
    10 minute lasagna

1 26-ounce jar pasta sauce
    1 30-ounce bag frozen large cheese ravioli, unthawed
    1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 8-ounce bag shredded mozzarella
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 350° F. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and spoon in a third of the sauce. Arrange 12 ravioli on top and scatter the spinach over them. Top with half of each cheese. Cover with another layer of ravioli and the remaining sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until bubbly.

I used Prego's new meat sauce Authentic Italian Sausage. I couldn't have made a better homemade sauce myself. Nice chunks of sausage and seasoned just right.

I put a little over a cup of sauce in a greased 9x13 dish. Layered 12 cheese ravioli, left out the spinach, then grated mozarella with provalone cheese.

Did not put the second layer of ravioli. Someone said the dish was really "cheesey". Dh isn't fond of a lot of cheese and I'm not fond of a lot of pasta. So, I just poured the rest of the sauce over the cheese and sprinkled the rest of the cheese on top. The baking time was right on.

With the cheese, ravioli and the sauce, I did detect some sodium. But, I am not a salt eater so that is easy for me to do. I asked dh if he could taste the sodium and he couldn't.

So if your family likes a lot of cheese and pasta, go ahead and put the second layer of ravioli in it.

I will be making this again. For one thing, the package of ravioli had 45 raviolis in it and I only used 12. Have enuf left over to make it 2 more times. Which, I will.

Kathy

False
    Sounds yummy. Thank you Kathy. DH would eat that. If you have any more, and you don't mind...share them with me. Thanks again, May
    False
    Bump...

Does anyone have others? I'm surely fixing Kathy's this weekend. =o)
    False
    There are lots of similar posts . . .try the search engine for "5 ingredients or less" . . . "fast & frugal", etc. etc.

You should get lots and lots that way. Good luck!!!
    False
    This is sooo good. Got it at the county fair in a little cook book that one of the politians put out back in the 60's.

Hamburger Stroganoff

1 lb ground chuck
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can mushrooms, drained
    1 chopped onion
    1/2 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp parley flakes
    sour cream

Brown meat with onions; stir in soup, mushrooms and seasonings. Simmer 5 min. Blend in sour cream. Heat but don't boil. Serve over egg noodles.*

*I mix my cooked egg noodles (2-1/2 cups) in with the meat mixture.

Kathy

False
    Here is one that I use when we need to go somewhere at night and I don't want to fix a lot.
    2 cans chicken
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp minced onions (dehydrated)
    1 tsp miced garlic (dehydrated)
    tortillas
    pam
    shredded monterray jack cheese or mexican cheese blend.

Mix chicken, onions, garlic and chili powder together. You may add more if you need it.
    Take a flour toritilla and spread chicken mixture on top. Top w/cheese. Do this until all chicken mixture is used up. Preheat oven to 350. Spray pan w/pam. Place tortillas w/filling on the baking sheet. Spray top w/Pam. Bake until top is crisp. Flip and bake the other side until it is crisp. Serve w/sour cream and salsa. I usually add some canned fruit and it makes a very good meal.
    Patti
    False
    From same little cook book.

Asparagus Cheese Casserole

1 can cheese soup
    1/2 can milk
    3 cans asparagus, drained
    4 hard boiled eggs
    1/4 cracker or bread crumbs
    Butter

Mix the cheese soup and milk. Line the bottom of a greased casserole with asparagus. Pour 1/2 of the cheese mixture over it. Dot with slices of hard boiled eggs. Repeat with layer of asparagus, then rest of cheese misture. Sprinkle the top with crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake at 350 degrees about 40 min until bubbly.

Kathy
    False
    Rave Review Roast

1 beef roast *
    nutmeg
    garlic powder -- not salt
    black pepper
    ground oregano
    basil

*The roast must be a cut that is normally cooked uncovered in the oven. Either boneless rump, eye of round, boneless rib, standing rib, beef or pork.

Place roast in pan, on rack, and season so that excess seasoning stays in pan to flavor gravy. Season with nutmeg, garlic powder, black pepper, ground oregano and basil. Do not skimp on the seasonings. Season liberally and pat seasoning into meat. The nutmeg is the secret ingredient here so use plenty. It gives the meat a delicious flavor plus aids in the browning process.

Place roast with the fat side up so the fat will baste roast as it cooks. If there is no fat on the roast, spray the roast with Pam cooking spray. Place seasoned roast in hottest possible oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue cooking for remainder of time.

Do not open oven during first half hour of cooking.

Timing the roast: 35 minutes per pound for a beef roast (A 3 pound roast = 1 hour 45 minutes). 45 minutes per pound for pork at 325F. The first 20 minutes at 500 F is included and is part of the total cooking time.

If you like it Med. Rare, cook it a little longer
    False
    Beef and Noodle Bake

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
    2 cups elbow macaroni
    4 cups spaghetti sauce
    12 ounces processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta), sliced

Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2 Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
    3 In a 9x13 inch baking dish, layer the macaroni, ground beef, tomato sauce and cheese, repeating two times.
    4 Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until top layer of cheese is bubbly.

Makes 5 servings

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Oh how I appreciate them. I will make them each. I promise. YUMMY

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
    False
    Crock Pot Cube Steaks

4 cube steaks
    1 package dry brown gravy mix
    2 Tbls dried onion*
    1-1/2 tsp onion powder*
    1 can coke (I use diet)
    1/4 cup red wine (optional)

Flour and brown cube steaks in a little canola oil. Place in crock pot.

Mix gravy, onion powder, dried onions, coke and wine together. Pour over cube steaks.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Depending on your crock pot. I cook 2 in my 1-1/2 qt crock pot and it just takes 4 hours.

*You may use the dry onion soup mix, but I find it to be so salty. I get the same results with just the powder and dried onions.

The gravy is to die for.

Kathy
    False
    I was hungry for Swiss steak and didn't have any round steak or cube steaks so I thawed out a package of stew meat.

I sliced up 2 onions and 1 green pepper. Put them in my crock pot. Placed the stew meat on top of that. Seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and parsley flakes. Put a can of diced tomatoes over that with a 1/2 cup red wine and some hot banana peppers.

Cook for 5 hours on low.

I cooked 4 oz of fettucini pasta and mixed in with it. Made a hearty meal.

Kathy
    False
    Crock pot Chicken Brocolli Alfredo

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
    1/4 cup chopped onion*
    1/4 cup chopped celery*
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    4 oz cream cheese
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp basil**
    1/2 tsp thyme**
    1 tsp parsley flakes**
    3/4 cup cooked, frozen, chopped broccoli
    4 oz fettucini pasta

Saute cubed chicken, onion and celery in a little margarine. Add soup, cream cheese, milk, basil, thyme, parsley flakes and broccoli.

Place in crock pot for 2 hours.

Add cooked fettucini pasta.

* I just chop up some

** I just dump some in

This can be simmered for awhile on top of the stove, but I like to make it early in the afternoon and let my crock pot do the "melding" of flavors and I "play" on here. ;o)

Kathy
    False
    This is my favorite chicken. I think you could probably do it in the crockpot.

Mom's Deluxe Chicken

1 pkg. pressed beef, or dried beef
    4 chicken breasts (can use boneless)
    4 strips uncooked bacon (I like to partially cook it in the microwave first)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 c. sour cream

Line a 9x13 baking dish with beef. Wrap bacon around chicken breasts and space evenly in baking dish. Combine soup and sour cream and spoon evenly over chicken. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours, uncovering the last one hour of baking. Luscious!
    False