Mrs. Wilkes' Recipes-(ATTN: Lady Creole) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mrs. Wilkes' Recipes-(ATTN: Lady Creole)

Last post May 26, 2013 7:40 AM by Alliea . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Mrs. Wilkes' Recipes-(ATTN: Lady Creole)
    I hope you enjoy some of these recipes!
    Lady Creole-As I have time, I will try to keep posting some more for you if you are interested. Maybe you could tell me what food you would like? All of her recipes are simple, home-or should I say boarding house style cooking! One of the books asks if you have ever heard of the boarding house reach-as food was served on a long table….The recent pictures show dining room with large family style dining.
    Linda

According to the Cookbook, this is a menu for Monday-They are closed Saturday and Sunday. The Boarding House is open for Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper.

Monday’s Blackboard Menu
    Fried Chicken
    Beef Stew
    Sausage
    Baked Ham
    Cabbage
    Snap Beans
    Black Eyed Peas
    Rutabaga
    Squash
    Rice and Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Candied Yams
    Pickled Beets
    Red Rice
    Okra and Tomatoes
    False
  • RE: Mrs. Wilkes' Recipes-(ATTN: Lady Creole)

Mrs. Wilkes Fried Chicken
    2 1/2 lb. fryer, cut up and sprinkled with salt and pepper
    2 T evaporated milk
    2 T water
    Pour over chicken ingredients above and marinate about 10 minutes. Dip chicken in bowl of all purpose flour. Shake off excess flour. Deep fry in Wesson oil at 300 or pan fry on medium(making sure oil is hot before putting chicken in). Make sure chicken is covered with oil at all times. Fry until golden brown. (Same recipe may be used for Pork Chops).
    Mrs. Wilkes Steamed Cabbage
    2 medium heads of cabbage-washed and drained
    1/2 cup pork drippings
    3 strips salt pork or bacon, cut into small pieces
    Saute pork until brown. Put cabbage(cut) in sauce pan. Put drippings and browned meat. Cover, bring to a boil over medium heat, stir and let steam 5 minutes. Salt to taste.
    Mrs. Wilkes Red Rice
    Annotation: The Low Country’s penchant for red rice is reflected in the fact that this dish has remained on the menu throughout the decades.
    2 cups rice (cooked)
    2 medium bell peppers
    2 medium onions
    4 strips bacon(fried crisp)
    1 can tomatoes-6-8 tomatoes chopped and cooked
    1 cup tomato sauce or catsup
    1/2 t Tabasco Sauce
    1 t Parmesan Cheese(the other book says 2 T Parmesan cheese)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Fry bacon, remove and place on paper towel. Brown onion and bell pepper in drippings. Add tomatoes, sauce, Tabasco and crumbled bacon. Pour in greased casserole, sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese and bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until rice is dry enough to separate.
    Shrimp rice and other casseroles, add 1 pound of cooked deveined shrimp to red rice recipe or 1 cup cooked sausage, pork or ham.
    False

Mrs. Wilkes Spoon Bread
    2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
    3 cups self rising corn meal, yellow preferred
    2 eggs
    3 T melted butter
    pinch of soda
    1/2 t. salt
    Mix cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, soda, and salt. Add melted butter and pour in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Batter should be very smooth before baking. Add more milk if needed. Serve with your dinner while still hot.
    Mrs. Wilkes Bread or Biscuit Pudding
    Annotation: One of the frequently asked questions in the ‘50’s was “When will you be serving the bread pudding again?”
    4 cups biscuit crumbs or 2 day old bread crumbs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 t. nutmeg
    3/4 t. cinnamon
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 #2 can crushed pineapple with juice(2 1/2 cups)
    1 cup raisins
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    2 eggs
    2-4 T melted margarine
    Combine all ingredients and pour into well greased baking pan. Bake in preheated 375 oven 1 hour or until straw inserted in pudding comes out clean.
    Mrs. Wilkes Praline Cookies
    1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
    1 t. vanilla extract
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    Mix together butter, sugar, and egg until creamy. Mix in rest of ingredients. Refrigerate till easy to handle. Start heating oven to 375. Shape dough into 1” balls; place 3” apart, on greased cookie sheet. Using bottom of tumbler covered with a damp cheesecloth, flatten balls till 1/8 thick. Bake 12 minutes or until done. Makes 3 dozen.
    False
    Mrs. Wilkes Chicken and Dumplings
    Annotation: On Thursdays, these are expertly made by longtime cook Laverne Could.
    2 1/2 pounds chicken, cut up and ready to cook
    1 t. salt
    1 t pepper
    Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover with water. Sprinkle with salt and peper. Boil over medium heat for 30 minutes. Pour off broth, use for Dumplings.
    Dumplings
    Annotation: Granddaughter Marcia vividly remembers Mrs. Wilkes making these dumplings: “ I can see her rolling them out paper thin, then slicing them with a big butcher knife and dropping them into her huge pots of boiling broth.”
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cups milk(Plus 1 1/2 cups milk)
    1/2 cup water
    Salt and pepper
    Mix in bowl and knead into another bowl of flour until dough is firm. Mash flat on floured surface. Let stand about 10 minutes. Roll out with rolling pin until knife blade-thin. Cut into 2” squares. Drop into boiling broth. Cook about 10 minutes on high heat. Reduce heat to low and return chicken to pot. Pour in 1 1/2 milk into mixture and stir. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper if needed.
    False
    (2001 annotation)- Black-eyed peas are a traditional good luck dish on New Year’s Day. This spicy rendition of a regional favorite brings good luck throughout the year!

Spicy Dry Black-Eyed Peas
    1 16-oz. bag dry black-eyed peas
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 pound sausage, browned-(country pork)
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/4 t. Tabasco sauce, optional
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Cook dry peas according to package directions until 2/3 done. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until peas are tender.
    False
    From Mrs. Wilkes’ Boardinghouse Cookbook

Boardinghouse-Style Biscuits

Mrs. Wilkes' serves about 630 biscuits a day. The Wilkes family loves these with Georgia cane syrup, and eats them morning, noon, and night-even as dessert! (in Savannah GA)

2 cups self-rising flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons shortening
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1/3 cup whole milk
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water

Preheat the oven to 450. Grease an 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking pan well. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the buttermilk, water and milk. Mix lightly and quickly with your hands to form a dough moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by picking up the sides of the dough away from you while pressing down with the palms of your hands and pushing the dough away. Repeal 6 or 7 limes. Work the dough into a large ball while kneading. Keep your fingers dry by frequently dipping them in dry flour. Pinch off portions of dough for desired size biscuit. Press lightly to make the biscuits look flat on the pan. Make sure the biscuits touch each other. Bake for 15 minutes. Yields about 8 boardinghouse-sized biscuits.
    False
    I posted these this summer-

MACARONI AND CHEESE
    A house favorite, this dish always prompts Mrs. Wilkes to contend that it’s the cheese that’s the main ingredient.
    2 cups elbow macaroni
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    4 eggs, beaten to a froth
    3 cups milk
    2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    Pinch of salt
    Preheat the oven to 350. Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water as directed on the package and drain. Return to the pot and add the butter, then the eggs and milk. Stir in the cheese and add salt to taste. Place in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is firm but not dry.
    Serves 4-6

MARCIA'S BOARDINGHOUSE POUND CAKE
    "The secret is the cream cheese," says Marcia (Sema’s daughter) of this super- rich pound cake.

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
    1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    I tablespoon vanilla extract
    6 eggs
    3 cups sugar
    3 cups cake flour

Cream the cream cheese and butter together. Add the vanilla. While beating, add 2 of the eggs, 1 cup of the sugar, and 1 cup of
    the flour. Repeat until all of the eggs, sugar, and flour are used. Spray a 16 by 4 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with vegetable-oil cooking spray and pour the batter into it. Without preheating the oven, bake at slightly under 3000 for about 2 hours. Insert a toothpick into the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Cool and remove from the pan. Delicious! Serves 20 to 25.
    NOTE: When baking pound cakes, never open the oven for a peek-a pound cake is prone to fall when the oven door is opened. Test only after the full cooking time has passed
    (my note-from personal experience, this wasn't a cake to make in high humidity)

False
    I read back over my posts from this summer and found this-(Gosh, I thought I received the one as a gift and I bought it myself! The mind is the first to go, I guess! No wonder I couldn't remember who gave it to me!)

Mrs. Wilkes died in 2004(see related article below)
    http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/110102/LOCWILKESOBIT.shtml
    Her restaurant is still open and at the same place. Her cookbooks are available there-her original(1976) for 18.00 and the newer one(2002) that I posted from yesterday for 32.00-ouch!
    I did go ahead and order her original, just to have both, but the newer one is available now through many of the bookstores. (I get mine from the bookclub that I am in--I only buy on sales they run!)
    If you wish to order directly from Wilkes, the address is

Mrs. Wilkes
    107 West Jones
    Savannah, GA 31401

False
    bumping for Lady Creole
    False
    Just wanted to thank you for taking time to share these wonderful sounding recipes!!! You're a real sweetheart! I think the first recipe I'll try will be the red rice.
    False
    bump
    False
    I know the "Boarding House Reach"!! We had a boarding house here, Hopkins Boarding House...that has closed. We miss their fried chicken so much!! No one can compare. The owner (who inherited it from his mother) has passed away. Thought there was a couple that were going to buy it but things fell through.
    End of a long era...

Man, this is making me hungry....

cilla/NW FL
    False

cilla / NW FL               

September Fall Kids            

bump
    False
    Lady Creole, glad you found this post.
    cilla, I don't know much about boarding houses other than I know my uncle used to travel with the railroad MANY years ago and he talked about the food being like home-cooking.
    I agree with you that it is an end to an era and the loss of some great tasting recipes with the 'personal' touch.
    False
    False