I MIXED MY PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS AGAIN IN Y BREAD MACHINE | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I MIXED MY PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS AGAIN IN Y BREAD MACHINE

Last post Dec 30, 2004 6:49 PM by hidecogal . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • I MIXED MY PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS AGAIN IN Y BREAD MACHINE
    I did this at thanksgiving and then again for christmas and it worked out beautifully both times. What I found is you can mix enough ingredients for 3 single crusts, which calls for 4 cups flour, anymore is too much, which I did but I remedied it, at the end I poured the ingredients into a bowl and just took half of the dough and let the machine finish it and then took it out and put the other half in the machine and finished it off. It turned out beautifully. I never had such good pie crusts in all my life with so little effort. Now I am on a pie baking binge. I always dreaded making pies before which was for many years but not now.I also place the dough in the frig to chill while making the filling and then roll all the crusts before putting the filling in so as to let them have that time to rest so they won't shrink when baked and it works.
    I have to make pies for my husbands xmas family getogether New years day and am anxiously waiting till I can make those pies again.
    False
  • RE: I MIXED MY PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS AGAIN IN Y BREAD MACHINE
    Would you can to send out your pie recipe. I'm one of those people that are sooooooo scared of pie crusts. I have the ingredients for a cherry pie. So I might try to make my own crust in the bread machine.

THANKS and Congratulations on a new idea!!
    False
    morning...Hide. I'm interested in trying this method. Could you just give me the recipe.
    Thanks in advance. Love Lorraine
    False
    Love Lorraine
    Ooh, me, too. I haven't been happy with my pie crusts.
    False
    this subject loooks intersting. i always use my food processor to make pie dough, and i've always heard and seen on food channel, that you should NOT over process pie dough. my bread machine would overwork it, so explain how this works please.
    False
    Yes, I am interested in this, too. I would the recipe and any helpful hints. TIA ~ Jolynn
    False
    Sounds interesting...I'll have to try it...thanks...

crowfeather
    False
    hidecogal, what brand of breadmachine do you use?
    False
    I can make the dough okay I just can't get it rolled out even no matter how hard I try.
    False
    Bump
    False
    I will try to answer all your questions all at once.

Perfect pie crust
    2 c. sifted all purpose flour
    3/4 t. salt
    2/3 c. cold shortening
    4-6 T. cold water ( I put ice cubes in a glass or cup and fill with cold water ).
    I did not sift the flour.
    In the bread machine put the flour and salt and start the dough cycle. Measure and add the shortening. I use crisco and I also use some,( any amount, a small amount of lard). But you don't have to. Let the machine countinue to mix until it seems granular or half the size of peas and then add the water one T. at a time. When the humidity is high you will need less other wise in the winter when the air is dry or you haven't had any rain for a long time you will need it all. But adding it one T. at a time lets you see where the dough is at. If it seems not wet then stop and let the machine finish rolling it to a smooth finish, you may need to use a rubber spatula to help it along or push it down to keep it rolling. When it seems smooth then take it out roll into 2 balls and wrap in plastic wrap or a cover container and put in frig to chill.

This makes crust for a 2 crust pie . If it seems not enough use 1 1/2 recipe.

Roll out onto a slightly floured board.Start in the midle of the dough and make a dent then roll once forward and then towards you, turn half way and repeat this until it is uniform and the size for the pan. It should be a little larger than the pan. This should help the one who said thier pie was uneven.

I have 2 bread machines; an Oster and a Breadman. I used both and it comes out the same , so it doesn't make a difference what kind of machine you use. Most machines will handle this recipe doubled, so if you choose to make a double recipe of this dough you can.

Crowfeather, I have changed that fruitcake recipe I gave you. Did you try to make it? I have to run to the store now but I will come back and tell you what I did and it tastes even better.

Later folks
    False
    Thank you very much!!
    False
    Crowfeather,
    Here's what I did to the fruitcake this year. I did not use any fresh or canned fruit. I used all candied friut and dried. I used more red candied cherries to equal the amount of fruit it called for totally in the recipe and it was even better tasting. Also I baked the cake the first hour on 300 degrees and then turned it down to 275 degrees, then when it seemed like it was getting browned and there still was a lot of time left I turned it down to 250 degrees until you touched it like the recipe said. It did take less time to bake. next year I will add about 1/4 c. more flour and I will divide the batter into 2 angel food pans. It was soo big, it was toooo big. Then of course the baking time will change somewhat.
    I used candied green cherries, and a lot of red candied cherries. I also used candied pineapple and orange peel, dried apricots cut up and a mix of walnuts and pecans.
    last year I wrapped it with a dish towel soaked in orange juice. I had forgotten that until my friend remembered it and reminded me.
    False