OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?

Last post Jun 05, 2009 3:56 PM by MytFly . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?
    My house isn't that old, built about 10 years ago and I've been there the whole time, but my two walk-in closets have always tended to be damp. I use Damp-Rid in them and it seems to do really well at getting a lot of the moisture out, but I'd like to put something in them to make them smell REALLY good. The Damp-Rid stuff smells sort of moth-bally. Any suggestions?

Emily
    False
    Emily
  • RE: OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?
    When I was stationed in the Philippines where it rained most of the time we would burn light bulbs in out closets 24 hours a day. It sure helped the smell and mildew.

I am not sure what the professionals would say but in humid climates it would seem logical to put in heating and air conditioning vents in your closets.

Just a thought,

Boe
    False
  • RE: OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?
    y
    False
  • Re: OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?

Reheatingit would help reduce the smell. It's what i do. So far it's effective for me.

closets

False
  • Re: RE: OT: what can I do to take away the musty smell from my closets?

Professional janitor supply stores carry an odor eliminator spray that REMOVES the odor, not cover it up.  The brand I have had is simply called X-O.

False

Hi there,

My basement storage closet had a stinky mildew smell.  I bought a product called Anotec, its all natural,safe  and is made of plant oils.  I originally bought it because my cat urinated over the side of the catbox and it got on my laundry room floor which is concrete.  Got rid of the smell right away.  You can buy this at ...1-262-367-3776

J-J Pet Supplies

714 Sunnyslope Dr

Hartland, WI 53029

Deb

False

MtyFly hi,

I found the J-J website..they are a ver sweet couple.  They come to a flea market in our area.  My house is only 10 years old too.  here is the link... https://www.heartlandpetsupplies.com/orderform.php

False

Thank you, ladies - my original post was in 2005, but it's funny, we JUST moved into another (older) house and I have the funny smell thing going on in the cabinets in my kitchen!  Kind of an odd smell, not like mildew or anything being wet - maybe just the old wood.  Maybe I can try this product for those cabinets!

False
    Emily