Baby carrots -vs- Regular carrots | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Baby carrots -vs- Regular carrots

Last post Mar 13, 2014 1:00 PM by Karine46 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Baby carrots -vs- Regular carrots
    Is anyone else out there somewhat allergic to the baby carrots? You know they run them through some type of chemical to remove the peels, and sometimes it actually burns the roof of my mouth even after rinsing them well. Then I noticed when I chop up the baby carrots to put in soup or something, they taste like soap. They are so convenient but not as good as the full size carrots. (Or is it just me?)
    False
  • RE: Baby carrots -vs- Regular carrots
    I'm not allergic or had any reaction, but I never knew they used a chemical to remove the skin. They must be in something in the bag. Also, if you keep them for a few days, they turn white. I've seen people cook and serve them like that and all I can say is yuck. I think we're all better off with the regular carrots and peel them yourself. Its a shame what they do to food. I used to grow a lot of our own vegetables and I can tell you that store bought doesn't taste as good as fresh grown.

Lou
    False
    Sorry, I think it is just you, LOL. I think they are sweeter on the whole.
    False
    I was searching for some ideas for carrots today as I bought a 5 pound bag of organic carrots that are awesome. I ran across this thread and decided to comment. I have used my last prepeeled bagged carrots. They simply have a yukky taste and ruin a recipe IMHO. I feel the same about the bagged prewashed lettuce.
    False
    While doing a google search for something else, I found this.

Mini-peeled carrots are most often labeled as baby carrots but they are not true baby carrots. They are actually a long, thin variety of carrot that is grown close together and bred to ripen faster than other varieties. After being harvested, they are washed and cut into 2-inch pieces. They are then sent through cutters and peelers to shape and polish them to their finished size. Min-peeled carrots have become very popular as a snack, appetizer, and for cooking because of the convenience in not having to cut and peel them before using.

Kathy♥
    False
    My 5-year old granddaugher will eat no vegetables, zero, except baby carrots. Her favorite are those even smaller that the already small baby carrots. I really don't like them,
    but, hey, anything to keep that Emma happy. Opal
    False
    Photobucket
    I noticed an odd taste and an odd smell when I cooked the last bag of baby carrots I bought. I used to love them for a snack, but after this bag I am not buying them again.

Brenda
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    never heard of that process...and I love them...they taste sweeter to me too....must be the variety...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I will NEVER buy regular carrots again. We love the baby carrots and think they are sweeter than the regular.
    I have never had any problems with the baby carrots and keep them for several months in my frig downstairs. If they get too dry looking I cut them and cook them for my Yorkie. He loves them too!!

Gail
    False
    I always buy regular. I have bought organic from time to time, and they have a fresher, sweeter taste.
    False
    the 'baby' carrots are soaked in chemical preservitives & water & are not as nutritious as old-fashioned regular carrots. I don't like them at all.
    Cali
    False
    For the most part the "baby" carrots we've gotten have been sweeter than the regular ones and the kids do enjoy them. Haven't had any problems with them deteriorating faster other than one time when I think they were just too moist. There is such a thing as a true baby carrot.I expect they are even sweeter and probably more nutritious than the ones that are simply ground down to look like the real deal. I'd like to try growing them,along with their longer cousins in the garden. Think they'd be a great alternative for those areas where the good, rock free soil isn't as deep :)
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    I have been wondering myself about those carrots although I have bought them for convenience. But since I had my doubts I never give them to my DGS. I am very glad you started this thread Loolie. I buy the regular carrots most of the time because they taste better and yes, the organics are really tastey. A few have talked about sweeter and I noticed that also and it was my first clue that they are adding. If there is one item we don't need it is added sugar to vegies or chemical processing of any kind.
    It blew my mind about 2 weeks ago when they proved that we are all walking around with levels of TEFLON in our blood since it came out 20 yrs ago and we were cooking with it and they wrap our food in it.
    Yeeeeow! Scarry.
    Carol
    False

Click for Saline, Michigan Forecast

It' funny you started this thread today. My DH and decided several months ago that we liked regular carrots better. They are more work but by far have a better taste. The baby carrots are pretty and convenient. That is all they can offer.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    These are processed and bagged near here.

They take regular carrots, triple wash them and cut them down to "baby" size--they get several baby carrots out of each large one. The parts that are removed are shredded to go into the bagged salad mixes.

The baby carrots, like the prepared salad mixes, are put through a preservative solution before drying and bagging. The preservative should be easily removed by washing.
    False