What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce? | Taste of Home Community

What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?

Last post Apr 29, 2016 2:30 PM by Beema . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?
    Is there a big difference? Just curious. Thank you! :)
    False

• RE: What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?
    The marinara is just tomatoes and no heavy spices, at least that is what I have always thought.
    False
    I think marinara sauce tastes more like a pizza sauce. When you get pizza at some pizzarias they`ll give you a little dish of marinara to dip your crust in.
    False
    Marinara sause isn't as thick as spaghetti sauce and has chunks of tomatoes in it. They seem to taste pretty much the same, but marinara is "runnier".
    False
    I read in a cookbook years ago that Marinara Sauce is sauce without meat - so I guess that means just a basic tomato sauce.

I use to think it meant that it had fish in it, because I think the word Marinara means something to do with the Sea. A lot of people probably think this as I noticed in a menu at an Italian Restaurant, that it mentioned when describing the different entrees that the Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce DID NOT have any fish or seafood in it.
    False
    I thought it meant meatless too. Only because my veg niece always orders that very specifically in restaurants.
    False

Diane

I never thought about it much before. I found this.

"Marinara Sauce

Definition: [mah-ree-NAHR-uh] A highly seasoned Italian tomato sauce made with onions, garlic and oregano. It's used with pasta and some meats.

--Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst"

So then I guess spaghetti sauce is any sauce served over pasta called spaghetti?
    False
    Marinara has a simpler, fresher taste to me. Not heavy or cooked to death. The tomatoes and herbs taste fresh from the garden.
    False
    I thought that Marinara sauce also had chopped up carrots and stuff in it whereas spaghetti sauce does not. Marlene
    False
  • Re: What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?
    Thank you, answers helped my problem !!❤️
    False
    I've seen marinara sauce too with carrots, celery, onions and garlic in it.i never put carrots or celery in mine.
    False
    To me, marinara sauce is spaghetti sauce. I think spaghetti sauce is just a generic name of any sauce you put on spaghetti.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home for 18 years.
    Multiple contest winner.

For the purists, Marinara  is a tomato based sauce originated in Italy, and NEVER contains any meat and its use is not limited to being added to mix with spaghetti, or other pastas.  It can be added to soups or stews, added to a vegetable casserole, a substitute for pizza sauce, as a warm party dip, and many other uses.  On the other hand, spaghetti sauce is US culinary slang term for any tomato based sauce, and it may contain just about anything to include meats, and is used specifically for mixing with spaghetti.

But, being the kitchen magicians we love to be, we can use both interchangeably and no one will call the culinary cops....  inventing new ways to make our dinner plates more attractive and interesting as well as healthy is what we do best.

False

"I'm convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere." ~ Maya Angelou

♥ Judy Batson, Field Editor since 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Recipes published TWENTY TWO TIMES** Meet me at the "Cooking for Two" forum and in Cook's Corner @ "What Are You Reading?" I am waiting to meet YOU!  

Spaghetti sauce is anything, to Americans, at least, put on pasta or in pasta dishes.

Marinara is a quickly cooked sauce containing tomatoes, onions, sometimes carrot (for sweetness)...no meat.  It is lighter than the long simmered ones that may contain tomato paste and is cooked with meat (pork, beef, meatballs, etc.) Marinara is great with seafood because seafood cooks so quickly.  The long simmered on is often called "Sunday Gravy" or Ragu.  I learned this on America's Test Kitchen over the years!  My motto...use what tastes best to you!!

False

AnnStar
    TOH Volunteer Field Editor 

An Italian chef told me years ago that he uses carrots to cut back on the acid from the tomatoes and it replaces sugar that some like to add to their sauce as well.  

Though that to be a great tip so I too add carrots to mine.

Janie

:)

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.