How long can you keep food in Foodsaver bags? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How long can you keep food in Foodsaver bags?

Last post Feb 11, 2005 4:20 PM by BDeniseH_OK . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • How long can you keep food in Foodsaver bags?
    I just found 3 packages of frozen ground beef from Nov, 2003 in my freezer (downstairs in basement area). I had cleaned it out prior to now, but didn't check the date on the bags as the meat looked fine. Would you use it or toss it????
    False
  • RE: How long can you keep food in Foodsaver bags?
    Look at the info packet that comes with the bags. Somethings can be kept up to 1 year and some others alittle longer. Some only 6 mo.
    Did the meat look okay?
    It's better to be safe than sorry. Food poisining is not a fun thing to have. If in doubt toss it.
    False
    When I have seen the infomercials and them talk about it on QVC, they say meat can be kept a couple of years, though you may lose some quality to the meat. It cannot spoil since it has been frozen, but may not taste fresh since it has been in there so long.
    False
    The meat looks fine. No freezer burn. I am in agreement with you on the 'when in doubt, throw it out' idea. Thanks!
    False
    As long as it has been frozen the entire time (not partially thawed and refrozen), it should be just fine. That's the great thing about Foodsavers, they keep almost indefinitely as long as the below-freezing temperature is maintained. :o)
    False
    I found this info at www.foodsaver.com

Raw Ground Beef, Pork and Poultry
    Remove ground meat, chicken or turkey from original packing material.
    To ensure retention of juices and proper sealing, pre-freeze meat or poultry for one to two hours or, place a folded paper towel between meat and end of bag. Leave in bag while sealing to absorb excess moisture.
    Place individual portions, such as hamburger patties, or family-size portions into FoodSaver Bag.
    Label, vacuum package and freeze.

Storage Life in Freezer

With Vacuum Packaging - 1 year
    Without Vacuum Packaging - 4 months
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit
    I decided to ask the Tila people about this issue and they said that as long as the meat was always frozen in the foodsaver bags than it will keep for 2-3 years. Maybe I will be using it afterall!
    False
    I would use it. If it's been frozen the entire time there was no way for it to go bad. I'm sure the time frames they give us are the bare minimal and can actually be used after a much longer period of time.
    False
    If the meat has been frozen all this time, and is not freezer burned, there should be nothing wrong with it. You won't get food poisoning from a frozen product. If it has been freezer burned, it still would be safe to eat but it just wouldn't taste good. I've used many products that have been frozen more than a year and had no problem. The worst that can happen is that it will taste "off". Especially if you have sucked all the air out of the bag before freezing, it should even be freezer burned.

Pat
    False
    I see no problem in using the meat if it was vacuumed sealed and frozen the whole time. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all.

Denise
    False