Recipe Request: Italian Cream Cake WITHOUT coconut | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe Request: Italian Cream Cake WITHOUT coconut

Last post Dec 20, 2011 8:23 PM by danandtee . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Recipe Request: Italian Cream Cake WITHOUT coconut
    I had this at a restaurant and it was out of this world but every recipe I've looked at on the internet calls for coconut. This cake had no coconut or fruit of any kind in it. Or, should I just take one of those recipes and omit the coconut? I hate coconut...
    False
  • RE: Recipe Request: Italian Cream Cake WITHOUT coconut
    Just leave out the coconut. It won't make any difference except to you, since you don't like it. Happy Cooking!
    False
    Did the cake have a custard filling instead of a creamy filling? If it did , then it was a cassata cake. Cassata cake has custard type filling and usually a whip cream or butter cream frosting.

RC
    False
    It wasn't a custard but a creamy filling resembling the taste of cheesecake. I think I ate 4 pieces of it. I've searched the internet and all recipes call for coconut. This had no coconut or any fruit of any kind in it. Kinda like a white cake frosted with cheesecake....
    False
    I hope this is the recipe you are looking for. It's out of a local
    cookbook (La Cucina Italiana--The Italian American Beneficial Ladies Auxiliary of Sandusky, Ohio--1992)submitted by Mary Trapp.

Cassata--Italian Creme Cake

Cake:
    1 C. sugar
    1 C. margarine
    6 egg yolks
    2 C. cake flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 C. milk
    6 egg whites, beaten
    3/4 C. sugar

Cream 1 C. sugar with margarine until very light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until mixture is very fluffy and smooth, about 5 minutes. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt, add dry ingredients to cream mixture, mix alternately with 1/2 C. milk, beating well after each addition. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form, tips curl. Gradually add the first 3/4 C. sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand) straight. Fold into batter. Pour into ungreased 10" tube pan. Bake at 350º for 50-55 minutes. Invert to cool. Remove from pan and cut into 3 layers.

Filling:
    3/4 C. sugar
    3 T. cornstarch
    3/4 C. milk
    1/2 C. chopped semi sweet chocolate chiips
    16 oz. Ricotta cheese
    2 T. orange liquor
    1-1/2 T. vanilla

In pan, combine sugar and cornstarch, stir in the 3/4 C. milk, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, cover surface with waxed paper, and cool without stirring with beater.

Beat Ricotta cheese until creamy, blend in cooled cornstarch mixture, orange liquor, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate with mixer. Beat together thoroughly.

Frosting:
    3/4 C. shortening
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 C. powdered sugar
    about 5 T. milk
    pistachio nuts (for garnish)

Beat together shortening and vanilla. Beat in sugar just until mixed. Beat in milk, adding more milk a little at a time if needed.

To assemble cake: Spread filling between layers, frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Sprinkle pistachios around top edge and chill cake.
    False

Bumping for MLJ to see.
    False

Thanks imkatiesmom! I just now got time to play on my computer for the first time since Saturday night. This sounds very close. Printing it as I type!!!
    False

Looks yummy. Does it need to be refrigerated? Thx

False