10 lb Pit Ham ...Suggestions on how to fix? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

10 lb Pit Ham ...Suggestions on how to fix?

Last post Feb 23, 2005 3:16 PM by ck1mom_Or . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • 10 lb Pit Ham ...Suggestions on how to fix?
    I was at Sam's and found a great deal on a ham, its called a Pit Ham, its boneless. I have never fixed one. I'm sure one of you wonderful cooks can give me some great suggestions. Thanks much! Lisa
    False
  • RE: 10 lb Pit Ham ...Suggestions on how to fix?
    Haven't heard of that brand...but 10lbs sounds like a lot so I'd take it to my favorite grocery store & have them cut it into smaller portions for us....or cook it for Easter.
    False
    I don't know what a Pit Ham is, but this is from a Tyson Website:

Preparation (refrigerated)

Method Temperature Time
    Pit, D-Shaped Carving & Slicing, Round and Buffet-Style Slicing Hams
    Conventional Oven 325°F 11 to 13 minutes per lb.
    Convection Oven 300°F 14 to 16 minutes per lb.

False

Thanks so much for the info!
    I thought I would cut it into about fourths, dice some, and freeze in freezer bags for other meals. So nice to come home from work and just grab something quick from the freezer. Going to try some of those scalloped potato recipes I found on here today.
    Thanks again
    False
    This is what I've done.
    I take yellow mustard and smear it all over the ham (I put ham in roasting pan before I start this), then I take brown sugar and with my hand pack it onto the ham, the mustard will help to adhere the sugar to the ham. Then I just through it in the oven and bake it, usually 350º for about 3-4 hours. I also take a little pineapple juice and pour in pan and gently baste the ham with it occasionally while baking.

Patti
    False

photo autumnthymepatti_163.gif

Here's another option for you ham. There are more great recipe on "Pork the Other White Meat" website.

Apricot-Glazed Ham

5-pound fully cooked whole boneless ham
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    2/3 cup apricot nectar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Place ham on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F. oven for 1 1/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F. (about 15-18 minutes per pound.)

For the glaze, in a small saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in apricot nectar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Brush ham with glaze. Continue baking 15-20 minutes more, brushing occasionally with glaze.

http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/
    False
    A Pit ham is one of the best boneless hams there is. We used them in most of the restaurants I worked in. Found this on the bb.
    RE: Need Cooking advise from all my BB
    Posted by: Ok_Sas Posted on: 4/18/2003 1:11:34 PM
    #R1428267
    ILUV, here is the recipe I have always used for baking a ham. Start the night before. Then you can have it warm or cold.

Score ham diagonally in both directions. Then poke a whole clove in where the scores cross. (It will look like big "X"'s all over) I then attach whole pineapple rings with toothpicks. Put the whole thing in one of those cooking bags like you would a turkey and close it tight. Bake in a covered roasting pan on about 300 degrees. Slow!!!! (If you don't have a covered pan then cover the ham with aluminum foil)

I always put my ham in late the night before and let it cook all night. But I was usually fixing a 20+ lb ham. Cooking time will vary depending on how big the ham is. But you don't want to cook it too fast.

When the ham is done, open the bag and take a bottle of honey and pour over the ham. You can leave the bag open, put the ham back in the oven for about 30 min. and turn the oven off. It will stay hot enough long enough for the honey to seep into the ham.

Take the ham out of the oven and out of the bag and place on a platter to slice. This is GOOD either hot or cold.

I used to always get the job of cooking the hams for my ex's Thanksgiving dinners. Everyone in his office loved them and every year would ask if I was willing to do it again.

Good Luck Lisa, and let us know how things turn out.

False