How do you cook fish roe - or do you ever cook it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you cook fish roe - or do you ever cook it?

Last post Feb 27, 2013 10:30 AM by Kristan78 . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • How do you cook fish roe - or do you ever cook it?
    I like fish roe but have a hard time finding it locally. I like it fried with a little lemon juice squeezed over it. Anyone do it differently?
    False
  • RE: How do you cook fish roe - or do you ever cook it?
    It is kinda funny that you mention this subject. I just came from the fish market and the man asked if I wanted to keep the row. I said sure. Not really knowing what to do with it, but the lady in there spoke up and said your can scramble eggs in it after you let it simmer for a few minutes then break your eggs in a bowl and stir this in the cooked row and scramble till done. I am baking a Rock with green onions and potatoes. Like a fish stew only a baked version. I will put the fish and row in a big roasting pan and add the sliced potatoes and onions, Set it aside while I am cubeing up a piece of streak of lean salt pork. I'll fry up the pork till it is crisp and then sprinkle it over the pan of fish, onions and potatoes, then I will pout the grease over the top of it all, add some crushed red pepper and a cup and half of water. Cover it with foil
    and bake it at 375 until the potatoes are done then pull back the foil and break 12 eggs into the boiling liquid spacing the eggs all around the pan cover it back up and cook until the eggs are done and take the cover off and let it kinda brown up a little. I sure have told you a complicated way to just cook fish row, haven't I? LOL
    False
    Except for the eggs, it sounds very good. I'm not too big on eggs and have a cholesterol problem too. My mom used to scramble eggs with fish roe but that was not a favorite with me. I like fish stew though and your version sounds good.
    False
    What kind of roe is it??

My father in-law gets mullet row. Sprinkles salt and pepper on it than rolls it in white corn meal and fries it.
    I've never tried it, but he really enjoys it.
    Not sure if this helps, might be just be another idea.
    LindaRose
    False
    Well we got some herring row and the Rock had row in it too.
    False
    I think what I have found in this area is shad roe. Also when we used to go fishing, we would sometimes find roe in bass and perch and that was good too.
    False
    My Mom used to like shad roe. She was a plain cook. She just fried it in pan for a few minutes on each side. Don't remember her adding anything to it.

Diane
    False

Diane

That's what I do Diane, except I do like some lemon juice on it.
    False
    Well, personally I would rather fish with the roe. Smile!
    I have never tried to eat it. What does it taste like?
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    CathyLew, what do you mean by the "Rock"?
    False
    I think she was talking about a rock fish.
    False
    OK, now what is a Rock Fish?
    False
    I think it is something like a perch. It grows mostly on the west coast. My DH and DS go fishing in Canada every spring and they sometimes catch a few. I don't think they grow as big as bass or walleyes, but they are great fun to catch according to my DH. I think they put up quite a fight.
    False
    Maybe CathyLew will answer and know more about it.
    False
    Rock fish have a firm meat and it holds it's shape when it is cooked, it doesn't get mushy and fall apart like some fish do.It is used almost all the time for making fish stews But they do catch big ones around here. I think the one I bought was a little over 3 1/2 lbs before it was cleaned. I don't cook no fish with the head on it either but I do like to keep the bakcbone in it when I fix it this way, gives it more flavor. I have used the same recipe with catfish and flounder but it is hard to find a big flounder around here. Anyway I hope it turns out good. I like to get as much done ahead of time as I can and I got hubby to peel the bag of potatoes and I just covered them with cold water. I went ahead and cubed up that streak of lean. I had a cup full of small cubes when I got it cut. I still have to skin those green onions and slice them up but I'll have to wait till tommorow to do that. At least I have a good start and My lunch will be served at 1 so I can still sleep late and get it done in time.
    False