T & T Italian Easter Bread - Fugasa | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

T & T Italian Easter Bread - Fugasa

Last post Apr 06, 2007 7:31 PM by sauregurke . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • T & T Italian Easter Bread - Fugasa
    We make this every Easter and two of my grown kids in Toronto have to get some.
    Even my SIL who makes her own loves this one.

FUGASA

3 pkg. yeast (regular requires two risings before shaping into loaves - Instant requires only one) (one type of yeast is mixed in with the
    flour and not with water so read yeast packet)
    1 cup hot water
    1 tsp. sugar
    ---------------------------
    1 cup milk
    8 beaten eggs
    liquor to taste
    1 tsp. lemon rind
    3 oranges (rind only)
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. salt
    6 to 8 cups approx. flour
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Let yeast dissolve in hot water and sugar for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Meanwhile put all the other ingredients in a large bowl along with about 5 cups of the flour. Add the yeast. Add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough not sticky to manage. Form into a ball. Butter a bowl and place the ball of dough in it and rotate it so that the dough is coated with the butter on all sides. Cover with a towel (or plastic wrap) and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. If using Instant yeast at this point punch down and shape into loaves. If using regular yeast then punch the dough down and let rise once again until doubled and then shape into loaves. Place dough in loaf pans and let rise until doubled in size. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour. Baste with a mixture of sugar and milk every 15 minutes until loaves are done.

Try it, you'll enjoy it. Marlene

False
  • RE: T & T Italian Easter Bread - Fugasa
    This sounds very good. Thanks for posting.

Chefly
    False
    Marlene,
    One more question on the bread. Do you kneed the dough at all?

I have the liquid ingredients mixed together and refrigerated. I'll add the yeast and flour tomorrow. I can't wait to taste this.

Chefly

Please keep bumped for her response.
    False
    Bump!
    False
    bump
    False
    I emailed Marlene, in case she misses this :)

Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Yes, Jolene I had missed this and got your email. I emailed you back but in case someone else wants to know. Yes, you need to knead this dough. It all depends on what kind of yeast I have in the house on how many times. I generally buy instant yeast so that it only needs to be kneaded once, rise once, and punched down and formed into loaves. Then that rise before baking. Hope this answers the question on kneading. Marlene
    False
    Thanks Marlene!

Please help to keep this bumped for chefly :)

Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

bumping for chefly.
    False
    bumping
    False
    now that everybody raves about this i have to make it for my family -twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    How many loaves does this make? Have you ever added raisins? Do you have a problem with the oven temperature dropping from basting every 15 minutes? Can I skip this part, or will it make a big difference?
    Thanks for posting. I want to make this tomorrow.
    False
    I don't think it needs raisins. The orange and lemon peel are enough. We take the loaves out on the oven rack, baste and shove right back in. I wouldn't change this recipe or method at all. They were just taken out of the oven and we got one regular bread sized loaf, one 9 x 5 loaf and two of the next smaller loaf. I haven't ever measured that pan but it is about 5 x 2. And the house smells wonderful. As soon as the loaves cool enough I am going to slice one.
    Again I wouldn't change the basting or add to it at least until you taste it the first time.
    Marlene
    False
    I used 1/2 cup Amaretto for the liquor and it is really good! I had to use quite a bit more flour (about 12 cups in all)and that gave me 4 9X5 inch loaves. Basting with the sugar/milk solution makes the loaves nice and shiny keeps the top crust softer. It also makes it a little sticky for holding on to when slicing (Unless I used too much sugar...)

This one is a winner at my house!
    False

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/