Does Anyone Steam Hard Cooked Eggs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does Anyone Steam Hard Cooked Eggs?

Last post Feb 07, 2010 10:43 AM by womanshomecompanion . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Does Anyone Steam Hard Cooked Eggs?
    I'd never heard of it before, but Diana got an Oster two tiered food steamer for Christmas that has indentations in the bottom of one of the baskets to hold eggs. The cooking manual says that you can do eggs in it, but gives no cooking times. A few nights ago I got it out to steam some cauliflower and noticed the indentations in the bottom and said "What the heck!". So I put some eggs in the one basket and the cauliflower in the other and let them both steam for 30 minutes.
    I don't know the age of the eggs, but they were very hard to peel and the outsides of the yolks turned green.
    Do any of you cook eggs in a steamer and if so, how long do you let them cook?

JOhn
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • RE: Does Anyone Steam Hard Cooked Eggs?
    I'm assuming that these are for poached eggs, spray the indentions with cookin spray or grease them with butter, crack an egg and add to the indentions, steam til set and enjoy.

I'm not sure about the caulflower at the same time though but I would try it.

If the eggs were hard to peel they are fairly new.

Brenda
    False
    Brenda Sinclair
    I don't know if they are for poached or not Brenda. The ones that I steamed came out like they were hard boiled and that was my intention. But I'm wondering if they can be cooked for less time than the 30 minutes that I left them in.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I've "boiled" eggs in the shell in my Saladmaster Cookware with only a wet paper towel in the bottom of the pan. It's more of a novelty, than a good method for cooking eggs.

Due to the seal the pans create, the steam from the small amount of water on the paper towel cooks the eggs. It's not quicker, however. To get hard eggs, it takes about 20 minutes cooking time after the valve starts clicking good and you turn the fire down until the valve quits clicking.

I would think using the direct steam method, the eggs would easily be hard-cooked in 15 minutes.
    False
    Only when they're wrinkled...

**grin**

~~susie.
    False

*VBG*
    False

John

John

John, I have only steamed my hard boiled eggs for years now, I have a Rival steamer and put 1 cup of water in it and it says that is for 19-22 minutes......Karen
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    Thanks Karen,
    I'll try it and hope it works as well in our steamer. I like to cook 12-18 at a time so that Diana and I have easy breakfasts throughout the week. It's about time I made some more pickled eggs too.

John
    False

John

John

Yes, I use my steamer to hard-boil eggs and it's the only way I do it now. I have a Black & Decker 2 tiered steamer. It does not have any indentions in it, but the book said you could make hard boiled eggs in it. I fill the water reservoir to the "low" line. I can put eggs in just 1 tier or 2 (yes, I can steam 2 tiers of eggs at once!). This is great for fixing large amounts of deviled eggs for church dinners and absolutely wonderful for doing eggs for my kids to dye for Easter. My book says to steam them for 35 minutes so that's what I do. I could probably try 25-30 minutes and that might be enough. Steaming hard boiled eggs is the only way for me now!

Ruth
    False
    hello john
    i have a black and deacker steamer that i use to steam eggs in all the time i can do a dozen at a time and it takes 1 cup of water and about 28-30 minutes and i let them sit in cold water for about 10 minutes then they peel really easy then i hope yours works great to ewak
    False
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm going to experiment with different times to see if I can get soft boiled(steamed) eggs down pat too. I'm definitely going to try to shorten the hard cooked time too.

John
    False

John

John

John, that green color is from cooking too long and cooling too slowly. Reduce the cooking time and then immediately put them in ice water. However, the green doesn't hurt anything; it's just iron sulfide that is harmless.

doris
    False
    Thanks my friend,
    How deeply did you get buried in snow the day we talked?

John
    False

John

John

The green ring is from a reaction with the sulfur in the egg white, and as also explained, it is a result from too high a temperature OR holding the egg at a high temperature for too long. That's why the recommended method, by the USDA, is to put the eggs in the pan of water in a single layer. Bring the water to a boil and to remove the pan from the heat and let the eggs stand in the hot water to continue cooking. After 15 minutes, you cool them with cold water. So it actually is a hard-cooked egg, not a hard-boiled egg. A method that includes constant boiling is unnecessary to cook eggs and will get you that green ring every time.

Occasionally there will be a purple accumulation at the tip of the egg white, and that's iodine in the egg.
    False
    I have a microwave egg steamer. You put water in the bottom, eggs in the indents, and microwave for 8 mins. to get perfect hard boiled eggs. The time is the same for any number of eggs so you could experiment with one egg at a time to see. When you get the time down, doing a bunch should be the same and they will be consistantly perfect. After they correct time, you must put them in cold water for a few mins and that is what makes them easier to shell. Also, it is almost impossible to shell very fresh eggs. Always leave them in the fridge for a few days after buying them before hard boiling. Hope this helps.
    False