ISO: a spaghetti recipe like served in school cafeterias | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: a spaghetti recipe like served in school cafeterias

Last post Feb 22, 2012 11:43 PM by CaliCynthia . 65 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 12345
  • ISO: a spaghetti recipe like served in school cafeterias
    any cafeteria cooks out there? anyone have a recipe like that served in school cafeterias in the 1950's?

thanks! Cali
    False
  • RE: ISO: a spaghetti recipe like served in school cafeterias
    And you would be wanting this recipe to eat? :)
    Obviously did not go to my school. lol

sorry I can't help you cali, but maybe someone else can.

doris
    False
    False
    I did a search and found these school recipes from 1953.Hope this helps.Go to this web page and they have alot of school recipes.WWW.springerconnection.com/Cafeteria/cookbook

SPAGHETTI

l/2 lb. bacon
    1 bay leaf
    1 large onion
    green pepper
    Mrs. P.W. Jennings

1 red pepper
    2 cans tomato paste
    1 lb. spaghetti

Fry bacon, crisp, chop onion, red and green pepper and fry until lightly brown. Add tomato paste and four cans water, salt and pepper to taste, simmer very slowly for about two hours.

Pour over cooked spaghetti and serve very hot.

ITALIAN SPAGHETTI

l/2 lb. ground beef
    l/2 lb. bacon
    2 onions
    1 green pepper
    3 or 4 pieces celery(tops,too)

Mrs. P.J. Taylor

2 cans tomato paste
    1 can tomato sauce
    Salt & pepper to taste

Fry bacon slowly until crisp, then place it on an absorbent paper towel. Brown beef in bacon grease. Add onions,
    celery, and green pepper which have all been chopped fine. Break the crisp bacon and add it. Then add the tomato paste, sauce and water. Cover and let cook slowly for about one hour. Serve over thin spaghetti and sprinkle with grated cheese. Serves 6.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    I liked the spaghetti in our cafeteria. They made everything from scratch in our small town. I really loved the baked cheese sandwiches we had. I'd love a recipe for those!
    False
    If I remember I will get our recipe from school. I work in the High school cafeteria and get their recipes all the time.

A hint on a meatloaf. They make theirs just like I do mine with meat, onion, oats, etc. But mine was never as good as theirs. Then I found the secret was they mix it all in a mixer with the blade, it makes it like mush (my daughter asked was I making a bowl of dogfood I swear), anyway I baked it and my hubby said it was a keeper recipe. I told him it was the same one I've used for the 11 years we have been married, I just mixed it differently. He said the texture was so much better.
    False
    qagal....you are sooooooo funny! Really, I'm searching for a friend who asked. I thought our school spaghetti was fairly good though. My own mom never cooked spaghetti until I was almost grown....she thought Italian food/pasta was too fatening.

My friend remembers this spaghetti as very beefy tasting & not spicy. That's all I have to go on.

thanks! Cali
    False
    Cafeterias food was good back in the 50's and it was home made not this junk they feed the kids now.
    False
    When I first started cooking at the school where I use to work the government supplied us with ground turkey, ground pork and ground beef.
    We use to use all three in our spaghetti sauce. Then they stopped the ground turkey and pork and thus all we used was the beef. Most of the ingredients were the same as what you would use at home except much greater in volume. Crushed tomatoes,
    tomato paste, oregano, basil, garlic,
    salt, pepper, sugar, and de-hydrated onion, as we very rarely got the real onions. Hope this was of some help.

Marlene
    False
    Hi Cali, I have a recipe for your friend. We had the best little old lady oooks at my school. They all volunteered their time (wasn't public school)and made the best food. I believe this recipe is very much like the spaghetti we had in school. It makes quite a bit too.

Creamy Tomato Spaghetti Bake

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    3/4 c. chopped green pepper
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup - reduced fat or fat-free is fine
    3 - 4 cups cooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice
    1 (16 oz.) container cottage cheese
    1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In skillet, brown ground beef with onion and green pepper, until beef is no longer pink. Drain.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In large mixing bowl, combine crushed tomatoes and cream of mushroom soup. Add drained ground beef mixture.

In medium roaster or 12x9x3" disposable foil baking pan, mix cooked pasta with cottage cheese.

Pour tomato/meat sauce on top and mix well. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake in 325 oven for 45 mins. to 1 hour or until casserole is bubbly and the cheese is melted.
    False
    thanks everyone.....& will pass these recipes on to my friend.

Cali
    False
    Here is the one that was in our school recipe cookbook and the school was build in 1953

Spaghetti sauce:

12 lbs ground beef
    5 1/3 ounces dehydrated onions
    1/2 cup garlic powder
    2 #10 cans tomatoes, with liquid, chopped
    1 #10 can tomato paste
    5 1/3 ounce beef base
    2 2/3 ounces brown sugar
    1/4 cup ground basil
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup dried oregano
    1/4 cup dried parsley
    2 Tab salt
    1 tab pepper

Brown ground beef and drain well. Rinse ground beef with hot water and drain well. Add onions and garlic powder, cook for 5 minutes. Add remiaing ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
    Yields 100 servings

We still make it at the school. It's very good!!
    False
    bump for Cali
    False
    thanks so much! Cali
    False
    I have one from the 1960's a spaghetti supper at our school. Looks like you already have some good ones though.
    False