OT: bird/popcorn question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: bird/popcorn question

Last post Mar 06, 2005 10:16 AM by bizeebarbie_OR . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • OT: bird/popcorn question
    This may sound silly, but can wild birds eat popped popcorn? I have a very large bag of store bought popcorn that has become very stale (nobody liked it). I was going to throw it out for the wild birds, but dh thinks the seeds and hulls might not be good for them. What do you think?
    Jodi
    False
  • RE: OT: bird/popcorn question
    Jodi, I don't see how it could harm them, especially if it hasn't been prepared with a lot of artifical ingredients, but I am DEFINITELY not an expert, so don't go by me. I will bump this for you and hope you get a more informed response from someone else. Good luck...Sue
    False
    I have a neighbour who throws almost everything out for birds and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Mind the only birds I generally see eating the stuff is ravens, crows and seagulls. Personally I can't stand him doing that as there are so many of those birds and they hang around and defecate on everyone's cars and such. If you don't clean the droppings off your car paint right away it ruins the finish. I put bird seed out for the small birds. Can't say if they would eat popcorn but I don't think if they did that it would harm them. Marlene
    False
    Maybe you could ask someone this question on the "Birds & Blooms" section of the bb - they seem like they're all pretty knowledgeable on things like this. I bet that they could help you out.

False
    We used to do this years ago but it seems to me that the unpopped corn put out for the birds can harm them. But the popped corn would be okay.
    False

Diane

it okay to feed birds popcorn kernels?

Often the best answers come from the birds themselves. If the birds don't like what you're feeding, they won't eat it. Try the popcorn kernels, but put them up on a platform or hopper-style feeder so you are less likely to attract unwanted visitors such as rodents.
    False
    I feed the the birds all year round.[sunflower seed]Popcorn popped and the kernels won`t hurt them.Like the other posters said,if they don`t like it they won`t eat it.The birds in my yard won`t because they prefer the seed.Starlings,house sparrows,most undesireable birds will eat most anything:)
    Rosie
    False

Thanks for all the feedback. I put just a small amount out this morning and I'll see if they eat it. If not, I guess the squirrels will have a treat!
    Jodi
    False
    My parakeet loves popcorn!
    False
    I always make extra popcorn to feed to the ducks.
    I also give them stale bread.
    We have an irrigation ditch down by the road where they always swim. I feed them in the early morning when I go to get the paper.
    Yesterday I didn't have anything to take to them.
    I was sitting by the window reading the paper when I looked out and here they were, out on the lawn.
    I guess they had come to see why I hadn't fed them breakfast.
    False