I have too many ripe pears... ideas in what to do with them? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I have too many ripe pears... ideas in what to do with them?

Last post Mar 07, 2005 7:42 AM by cakegirl_MI . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • I have too many ripe pears... ideas in what to do with them?
    I have too many ripe pears, and although they are fantastic, one can only eat so many pears in a day.

Looking for ideas on how to use them.

Thanks.

~Lori~
    False
  • RE: I have too many ripe pears... ideas in what to do with them?
    Lori....I like to dice up pears with apples when I make applesauce. Adds extra flavor to the apples, nice & sweet!!
    :)
    False
    Pear pie is wonderful. It tastes much like apple pie. Chefly

Pear Crumble Pie
    6 medium pears, pared
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1 tsp. greated lemon peel
    1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell

Crumb Topping
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground mace
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    Combine flour and spices for crumb topping and cut in butter till crumbly.

Slice 5 pears; cut remaining pear in sixths. Sprinkle pears iwth lemon juice. Mix sugar, flour, and lemon peel; stir into sliced pears. Spoon into pastry shell. Arrange pear wedges atop sliced pears. Sprinkle with Crumble Topping. Bake at 400♂F. for 45 min. or till pears are tender. Great served warm.

False
    Caramel Pear Crumble
    QC nov/dec 2001

1-1/4 c. Flour
    1 c. Quick Cooking Oats
    1 c. packed Brown Sugar
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/2 c. Butter or margarine, melted
    20 Caramels
    1 tbsp. Milk
    3 medium Pears, peeled & sliced
    Cool whip & additional cinnamon, optional

In a bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in butter, mixture will be crumbly. Set aside 1 cup and place remaining mixture into an ungreased 9 inch baking pan.

In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir the caramels and milk until melted & smooth. Remove from heat. Arrange pears over crust and pour caramel mixture over pears. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until pears are tender and top is golden brown. Serve warm, garnished with cool whip and sprinkled with cinnamon if desired.

**For caramel, I heat up a jar of good quality caramel ice cream topping in the microwave then pour that over the pears. Easier and less messy!

Apple Pear Coffee Cake
    TOH feb/mar 2003

1/2 c. Cold Butter
    1 c. Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    2 c. Flour
    3 tsp. Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Baking Soda
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    8 oz. Sour Cream
    1-1/4 c. Chopped, peeled Apples
    1/2 c. Chopped, peeled Pear

Topping:
    1 c. Packed Brown Sugar
    1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
    2 tbsp. Cold Butter
    1/2 c. Chopped Pecans

In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in apples and pear. Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish.

In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut n butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

This last fall I made pear sauce just like apple sauce and froze it, my 12 yr. old daughter loved it. I peeled and cored the pears and started cooking them with a tiny bit of water then added sugar to taste and just a smidge of cinnamon and a little vanilla. Then when cooked down I put in freezer bags and froze. Wonderful.
    Pear pie is also great.
    Debbie
    False
    Thanks for the great ideas, and recipes. Now I know what I'll do this afternoon... its a stormy rainy day here in MI, so a good day to stay inside and cook.

Thanks again.

~Lori~
    False