Sunday After-Church Lunch Ideas Needed | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sunday After-Church Lunch Ideas Needed

Last post Mar 14, 2005 9:18 PM by lmek . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Sunday After-Church Lunch Ideas Needed
    Hi everybody! My family is getting tired of having a can of soup for their weekly sunday noon meal, but it's the fastest thing I can think of, when I haven't had time to prepare anything. Any ideas?
    False
  • RE: Sunday After-Church Lunch Ideas Needed
    What about preparing a crock-pot dish Sat. night and putting it in the fridge then Sun. before you leave, put the crockpot on...it will be done when you get home!

Beef Roast w/ potatoes, carrots, onions in a gravy

Chicken Parisienne

This is so good and easy! I have left the wine out but we prefer it with the wine! This makes a wonderful gravy.

6 chicken breasts
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 small can mushrooms, drained
    1/2 c. white wine
    1 c. sour cream mixed with 1/4 c. flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Paprika

Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt, pepper and paprika. Place in crockpot. Mix wine with soup and mushrooms until well combined. Pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or high 3-4 hours.

During last 30 minutes of cooking, remove chicken. Stir in sour cream/flour mixture. mixing well. Put chicken back in pot.

Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.

(You can cook this in the oven...
    350ºF about 1 hour and 15 mins.)

Sour Cream Pork Chops

6 Pork Chops
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Garlic powder
    1/2 c. Flour
    1 large Onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 cubes Chicken Bouillon
    2 c. Boiling Water
    2 Tbsp. Flour
    8 oz. Sour Cream
    Hot cooked Rice

Season pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge through 1/2 cup flour. In a skillet, lightly brown the pork chops in a little oil.

Place pork chops in slow cooker. Top with onion slices. Combine chicken bouillon and boiling water, pour over meat. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.

In a small bowl, combine the 2 Tablespoons flour and sour cream. Remove pork chops from crock pot and turn crock pot to high. Stir in sour cream mixture. Return pork chops to crockpot and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.

Serve sauce over pork chops & rice.

**I use one can (14.5 oz I think) of chicken broth instead of bouillon and water.
    False

cilla / NW FL

My family loves grilled ham 'n cheese sandwiches. If I have no leftovers to heat up we always have them. Sometimes hot dogs and oven fries. In the Summer we have taco salad, cold sandwiches, etc.

Belinda '-)
    False
    joyfulspirit, This isn't a recipe, but having gone through the same thing many years ago, a lot of times when we came home from church, we had peanut butter and either honey or jelly sandwiches because they were quick and nourishing. That would hold us over until a later meal could be prepared to eat before going back to evening Church. I sort of like to toast the bread for just about all sandwiches, and along with the peanut butter & honey a slice of cheese is good.

I was always just a bit leery of going off and leaving something cooking in a crockpot or in the oven, but many people do. You can also, buy those small boneless hams, that are either precooked or they don't take long to cook, and then add some kind of potatoes...maybe some escalloped or agrauten, which you can have ready to pop in the oven, (waiting in the fridge) when you come in the door, and the veggies your family likes will be quick to fix. If you want a salad, that can be prepared ahead of time, and just set in the fridge with a cover over it. If you like you could even pop some brown and serve in the oven with the potatoes, and they could be cooking toward the end of the potato cooking time. That's a very simple, filling meal, but it mostly can be done up to a point ahead of time, and then won't take long when you get home to finish it.
    False
    MaryK.
    I have just posted several topics on the very same thing and please feel free to back up and check my post, but I was saying that I tried to get everything ready Sat. and Sat night, and It felt so good being able to sleep knowing that Sunday lunch is almost ready. I made a pan of lasagna tonight and it is ready to go in the oven when we leave for church. I use my time bake feature on my oven and micrawave too. Don't know what I would do without this feature.
    False
    For our sunday meals. I use slowcookers or crockpots. I start early in the morning. Then by time we come home from church around 12:30 or 1:00 it's done. Or like someone else said cook it the day before. But more early in the morning in the slowcookers. I have several. And I put even peeled diced potatoes in water in one for mash potatoes to mash when we get home. A vegetable in another. And depends on what meat whether the oven or slowcooker. Or a stew or soup, with sandwhiches to make for later when we are home. Get the Fix it and Forget it Slowcooker Cook book it's great to plan meals in the slowcooker.
    False
    A favorite at our house are waffles with whipped cream and strawberries. THey don't take long to prepare and are yummy!
    False
    Thanks so much everybody! The ideas are all super, and I plan to try all of them. My family is sure to thank you all. You've inspired me to start having company over after church too, these sound so great. Good-bye, soups!
    False
    You could even do something like tacos where everything is cut up and ready and all you have to do is heat up the meat and/or beans.

How about make your own sandwiches with the fixings ready to take out of the fridge?
    False
    I love grilled chicken salad. Why don't you grill some chicken breasts on Sat, and slice them and stick them in the frig. On Sun, quickly pull out the salad greens and toppings, microwave the chicken, then top the salad with the chicken and add the dressing! Maybe even serve it with a slice of garlic bread!

HTH,
    Linda
    False
    Linda