Help-My green chili stew is too hot! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help-My green chili stew is too hot!

Last post Mar 17, 2005 1:32 AM by verushka . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Help-My green chili stew is too hot!
    I made green chili stew in the crockpot today and it is way too hot to consume. I love hot, spicy food but even I can't eat this. I tried thinning it down with more water but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas out there on how to save? I made a huge pot and hate for it to go to waste. Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Help-My green chili stew is too hot!
    Make another pot and mix the two then freeze the leftovers?
    False

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Do you have a freezer? make another batch (no peppers in it) then mix together and freeze some of it. I always freeze it, because I always make a lot and when someone says lets have Mexican food. Just pull some out and there you go.

Toni
    False
    Adding a potato to a recipe will absorbe salt...I wonder if it might work in this case?
    Elizabeth
    False
    I would add instant potato flakes to the stew. I bet that would help. I might also add some sugar to cut the heat. Not too much, but a little might help.
    False
    Add some heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2. The dairy will cut the heat. You could also stir in sour cream just before serving.

Chefly
    False

The heat in these peppers is fat-soluble, so water won't ease the pain or dilute it. The only way to get the burning off your mouth is with fats, like sour cream, shredded cheese, butter (buttered cornbread or tortillas).
    If I remember correctly, this recipe had chipotles in adobo sauce in it. I bought a can of that for another recipe, and the recipe called for a whole can. I added just one pepper and we still could not eat the dish. It's that hot!!!
    For people who are unfamiliar with this product, the results can be disastrous. But some people who LOVE hot food don't understand that others are not used to it and can't take the heat. They forget to warn us that the results are very spicy. But chipotles in adobo are deadly. It's a wonder they freeze!! They're so hot, they could defrost the whole freezer.(joke)
    False