how many ozs. in 1/2 pint? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how many ozs. in 1/2 pint?

Last post Mar 17, 2005 5:35 PM by Callie123 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • how many ozs. in 1/2 pint?
    help! i baking a coffee cake that calls for 1/2 pt of sour cream....how much is that in ozs? (~.~) retta jo
    False
  • RE: how many ozs. in 1/2 pint?
    A half a pint equals 1 cup which is 8 oz.

Josie
    False
    A pint is a pound the world around...that's the only way I can remember! So....eight ounces!?!? LOL

~~susie.
    False

it would be 1 cup, or 8 ozs.
    False
    Susie,

I always thought a pint is 2 cups, and 1 cup is 8 oz. Am I wrong? ...or was that a joke? I'm not sure....please explain. Thanks

Josie
    False
    thanks everyone! i just knew when i went to mix up the other ingrediants and came back, you would have an answer for me....(~.~) retta jo
    False
    Josie --

You're right! A pint is a pound which is 16 oz or two cups....so a half pint would be eight ounces or one cup.

~~susie.
    False

Susie ~

DUH!!! I am so brain dead at the moment ~ I didn't even get what you were trying to say!?!?

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Josie
    False
    Josie..

Not to worry! I have those brain dead moments every day! Sometimes they're longer than moments too! *smile*

~~susie.
    False

Actually hate to bring this up at this point, but if you empty an 8 ounce container of sour cream into a measuring cup, you'll find it's not quite full. Sour cream doesn't weigh the same as water (it's denser--heavier). But in most recipes, the slight difference shouldn't hurt too much. The correlation between weight (ounces/pounds) and volume (cups/pints) only works for ingredients that have the same specific weight as water. Just as an example, 8 ounces of flour will be in the neighborhood of 2 cups, not one.
    False